Accuracy line of intersection from re... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Accuracy line of intersection from revolve? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henk Heijnen
Username: Heijnen_3d

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

To make a grid for a bullet shaped building i first made a smooth revolve. Then to get a horizontal divider i made a line of interception with a rectangular surface. When checking the origin and centre point the circular shape's centre is off and the origin is rotated.

Am i doing something wrong?

HH

PS I later found that using a faceted revolve with the required snapping would work for a the construction grid i want.
application/octet-stream
bullit03.fmz.safe (113.7 k)

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1463

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Henk,

When I revolve your shape and section this, I get all of the first points aligning. (I tried this with the 2d section with your Planes, with the Contour Section Tool, and with the Line of Intersection tool.)

Can you be more specific about what you are doing to get the first points to not align?

Also, which version are you using on which operating system?

I am finding that there is a very small deviation between the XY centers of these sections. I am checking why this might be, and I will report back.

ZWebTech Support

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb,

I didn't do annything special. I made the rotate with the spline curve on the x axis and the line going up on 0,0,0. as axis. The intersecting lines are with the copies of object 8

I was snapping with an interval snap at 16 divisions. Snapping it now with end snap makes it is even more off. With the snap on 1/16
Note that i rotated the light blue rings 11.25 degrees with 0,0,0 as centre of rotation. This to get the grid as i started with the green lines.

Am i wrong in believing that the start point of a intersecting line is where the rotate started?

I'm using 6.1.1 on mac os X 10.4.8 (build 8N1037) on a MacBook pro 2.33 core2duo

HH

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Any news on this issue?

I also noticed that the line of intersection sticks out of the shape when rendered. Rendered with ray-trace it is minimal but with interactive it is quite a lot. And is also quite a lot when exporting to maxwell with the new plug-in. Strangely Maxwell doesn't start up anymore, not from the plug-in, not when i start it manually.

Is the the accuracy of the revolve depending on the display resolution settings? Or is this because the smooth spline curve i used to create the revolve with?

HH

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1500

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Henk,

As we noted above, the First Point should be on the X axis for your Revolve after generating a Section or Contour Section.

Interactive Shaded will render based on the Facetted Representation of the object, which you can control via the Display Resolution Attribute. Increasing this should give you what you want.

I am not sure why you are getting the small accuracy round-off error, and this has been reported so that it can be investigated further and corrected. (This may be something that we will need to do, or perhaps something that will need to be forwarded to Spatial....)

I am not sure why your Maxwell would no longer start. You will have to check with Next Limit regarding this -- or perhaps some other user can help you with this.

ZWebTech Support

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Zwebtech,

Thanks for explaining.

HH