Suggestions for some basic tool tweak... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Suggestions for some basic tool tweaking... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 105

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hello there!

I think sometimes in the hunt for new great features old ones get overlooked. Here are some tools that have been in FZ for ages but could still be improved (IMHO).

1)
Snap to nearest. It would be nice if FZ could find the nearest point along a segment while using ortho. As it is now the segment snap together with the ortho acts as nearest in relation to the cursor postition which is not really useful.

2)
It would be great with extended snaps. Is that difficult to do?

3)
I would like the 3point rectangle to lock down at the second clickpoint or at least an option to do so...

4)
Another idea that I have is an option to restrict movement of points,segments and faces to only allow directions that will not change the planarity (from planar to nonplanar) of the associated faces. I imagine that would eliminate some user errors. Or perhaps a warning could optionally be issued when this will occur as a result of user input.

5)
The define arbitrary plane tool is a bit unfriendly. Couldnīt it allow the topo level to be chosen without throwing you out of the tool?
As an alternative if no face/points or objects have been prepicked perhaps the tool could default to a 3point click type interface with the prompts telling the user what the clicks mean like axis and origin. The grid display could be updated in realtime to eliminate ambiguity about axis orientations I often end up creating reference planes that are upside down back to front etc.

6)
Undo / redo viewchange
Often I will dial in a nice view then figure I need to change some detail or other and forget to save the view. It would be nice to have a little plugin that could allow the user to undo/redo viewchanges. I've never quite understood the reset and previous view tool as they work today, are they broken?

7)
Stair tool.
Couldn't the dialogues for number of steps and height of riser be communicating. If I set the number of steps to x the riser height will by Y. If I then change the height of the riser that would then update the number of steps. This way I could from within the dialog get the ideal numbers dialed in and more importantly I could change the total height of the stair if I do not want it to go all the way up to the floor it should land on.

8)
It's been mentioned before but I take it up again:
PLEASE give us polygon lasso selection tool Skip the current lasso if necessary but polylasso is so much more useful. And please give use frame deselect. Small things like that makes FZ seem quirky to novice users. In this day and age people have a right to expect certain basic functions to work similarly across all apps and platforms.

9) Match view
Please give us a more tolerant tool. Over the years the same questions crop up about how to match views successfully. This is obviously an important function and it could be more robust. Allow more input points for the match to be more accurate and successful in the case of the dreaded "parallell lines" Aren't the lines almost always parallell in this case?

10)
Please give the underlay tool an opacity slider. I always end up creating a light grey image for use as an underlay in order to see what I'm drawing over it.

Best regards,
Peder

(Message edited by Peder on January 31, 2007)

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Oh and...

11)
The parametric objects like stairs could automatically be assigned texture groups for their different parts. This would allow texturing these types of objects (and in the future perhaps windows, roofs, doors etc without breaking their parametric status.

Peder

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1469

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Peder,

Thank you for your suggestions. We are happy to inform you that most of them are currently being worked on for an upcoming release. The few that we do not already have on our list will be given serious consideration.

ZWebTech Support

m_s
Username: Maher

Post Number: 182

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Z, Peder,
I have one to add(or remind) Ztech with :-)
12) Selection filter to be able to window-select or (Polygon)-select certain topological levels interactively.

-m

m_s
Username: Maher

Post Number: 183

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

hey, to clarify my not very clear post, i mean to be able to select point, or wire, or surface objects directly inside the interface without the select-by step.
-m