Object vs. Symbol Rendering Times Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Object vs. Symbol Rendering Times « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thedigitaldraftsman
Username: Tdd

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb Tech,

How do symbols affect rendering times. Is there a savings here? For instance: I have several instances of a fancy street light in a model. I replace all these instances with a symbol version of them. File size is clearly knocked way down, but how will rendering times be affected? Faster or about the same?

KSB

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1464

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

KSB,

Symbols do not affect rendering times as they are internally exploded before being rendered. The advantage of using symbols is their editability. For example, you could use the Edit / Select By command to select all of the street light symbols and use the Symbol Edit tool (perhaps with the Edit Simultaneously option) to change these symbols to a different type of street light, or a street light with a different display resolution. (Option click (Mac) or Ctrl-Shift click (Win) on Symbols... in the Select By Dialog to access further options.)

ZWebTech Support

thedigitaldraftsman
Username: Tdd

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb Tech,

Yes. This is what I suspected. Thanks for the help.

KSB