Form z and vista memory usage Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Form z and vista memory usage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith
Username: Brown

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I've heard that Vista is a memory hog. Is 2gb of ram going to be enough for some fairly complictated architectural interior renderings?

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1487

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Keith,

Vista does consume a lot more memory than XP does immediately after Boot. For example, my computer is set up as a Dual Boot with XP and Vista (using a separate partition or hard drive). When I check the Memory Usage via the Task Manager / Performance Tab XP shows PF Usage of ~200 Mb, whereas Vista shows Memory of 500 Mb, eventhough I have more of my own startup programs for XP. (Vista actually jumps initially to ~800 Mb, before settling back down to 500 Mb.)

My guess is that a lot (or at least some) of this is related to Vista's "superfetch" features that pre-loads frequently launched applications for faster launches. This memory should be freed in the event that the memory is needed for another operation (such as a rendering) but I can't say yet exactly how much will be released.

Chances are you will need more memory for Vista to do the same operation in XP, but my guess is that this will be closer to ~100 Mb than 1 Gig...

If anyone else knows more about this, feel free to add your guess / knowledge.

And in a semi-unrelated matter -- I am not able to get Vista to connected to an OS X volume that uses password protection. I found a number of "solutions" for this on the web, but none of them have worked for me. Has anyone been able to get this to work, and if so, how?

ZWebTech Support

Ulrich Kirchhoff
Intermediate Member
Username: Uki

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Nasty advice: buy a mac instead.

Keith
Username: Brown

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

unless you can now run autocad on mac's with no loss of productivity (which could not be done with virtual pc) then a mac does me no good.

Chrtistopher Roehl
Username: Roehlstation

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Virtual PC? All new Macs are Intel Based now which means you can install Windows on them without Emulating anything I'm running Revit on my MacBook Pro and it runs just as well as any PC I've got.

I prefer Boot Camp (a more true experience) although from what I've seen Parallels is fine too.

m_s
Username: Maher

Post Number: 185

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I have used Boot camp to run Rhino, autocad, formZ and CATIA on my my Mac. They all worked just fine. I also tried Parallels, but I find it slow for 3D applications, It can be good for office work.
Did anyone have any experience with Vista and Z64! Any Speed tests?
-m

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 142

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi,

I would like to know exactly how much memory Vista is able to manage.

Precisly, my question is to know what is indicated by the task manager of vista 32bit and vista 64bit, when 4 Gb of memory (or more) are intalled on the computer.

My ultimate goal is to know how much memory is available for the two fellowing applications: FormZ and Photoshop CS2.

In the case of PSD, is there anyone who know exactly how much memory we can attribute in the preferences?
I know, it's more a PSD question than a FZ one... but I'm sure a lot of you are using both.

Thanks in advance for any input.
jL