Automatically relayering by material Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Automatically relayering by material « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justin Dewitt
Username: Jimminy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I want to be able to take all the objects in a scene with a certain material and change them to a layer for that material. I would want to do this for every material in a scene. I can manually create the new material layers, then select by material for each and relayer it all, but that's a major hassle.

Is there a way to automate this task?

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1503

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Justin,

There is not (currently) a command for this, but it would not be very difficult to write a script to do this. If you have any interest in programming, check the formZ SDK...

ZWebTech Support

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

ZWebTech Support,

I'm hesitant about scripts. I'm not a programmer...
But this is exactly the kind of tool I need to prepare a Maxwell export by layer.
I don't know exactly where and how i can begin.

JL

Justin Dewitt
Username: Jimminy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yeah, having a tool for this is really a no-brainer. Almost any time you want to render outside of formz, you are going to want to organize by material, but when you are modelling you probably want to organize differently.

I've been doing this operation manually for years, waiting for the feature to show up or for someone to do a script. I would do it myself but don't want the brain damage of learning to program.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1514

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Justin et al,

Most Export Options allow you to Form Groups By: -- which includes an option to Form Groups By Color. This could do what you want automatically at the time of export. Of course if you want this done in formZ, creating this script should be fairly easy, and one of our users has already done this. See THIS Thread.

ZWebTech Support