FMZ Rendering vs. Maxwell Renderings Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » FMZ Rendering vs. Maxwell Renderings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Odom
Username: Jodom

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hello all,

I have been going back through my old FMZ models and rendering them in Maxwell. Just though I would post my results. Others welcome to post their success with Maxwell, comments welcome!

John

Jason Brown
Username: Valkama

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Wow. What a difference. I hope the client was not expecting that the finished interior ceiling whould be as bright as your FormZ rendering. Thanks for the comparison. I am learning to use maxwell now but i keep getting an error that my MXS file is invalid. I'm sure its something simple.

Nice work

Jason

Ulrich Kirchhoff
Intermediate Member
Username: Uki

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Jason,
Maxwell is definetly one of the better render engines (if you have time) and worth learning. Especially with the new 6.1 plug-in.

But as it is not mature yet, it definetly will cause you a lot of frustration too.

You should check your geometries and triangulate your objects. Maxwell somehow only likes triangles and rejects files with 'bad' geometries. Thus it will not even write the mxm. Start simple, in order to understand the logic of Maxwell.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1505

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

John,

It is good to see such comparisons, but of course the lighting and the materials used will have a major effect on the rendering. For example, setting the ambient or diffuse reflection parameters beyond that of the real material will make it appear brighter than it will be in reality. Also, it looks like you rendered the cars using a much less reflective surface in formZ vs. Maxwell. And is the lighting really the same for both renderings?

Jason,

formZ RenderZone is very tolerant of bad geometry, but Maxwell, like RadioZity can have trouble if there are problems such as faces with no area, or self intersecting objects.

ZWebTech Support

Jason Brown
Username: Valkama

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Print Post

thanks for the responce.

i used only 3 basic shapes, cube, cylinder, and a cone. Even if i just draw a flat plane i always get;

Error: MXS file is invalid

I will contact Maxwell to see whats going on.

Thanks

Jason

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Two things that I've found will create an error like that:
If the filepath for the .mxm and .tga file has not been specifically set to a specific location and name.

If some objects with imagemaps have no UV coordinates -set them manually to some arbitrary point in the texturemap tool. -You can also copy and paste texturemapping with the get/set attributes.

Peder

Richard Rush
Username: Rwrush

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

John, could you tell us the pixel size of the Maxwell rendering (I assume you resized for posting), and also the time/system info?

I know from a previous posting that your new machine has dual quad Xeons (8 cores!). I'm looking at ordering a new machine (perhaps today) but I'm looking at probably one quad (QX6700 which is not a Xeon). As much as I would like the dual quad Xeons (who wouldn't?) I think the $$$$ are prohibitive for me.

What operating system are you running? I had assumed I would get Vista with the new machine, but I may just stay with XP32.

I'm very interested in hearing how Maxwell is working out for those now using it. I'm looking at jumping into Maxwell now that the new better integrated plug-in is available. But long render times and perceived bugginess are two things still holding me back. If other solutions, such as Vray or Mental Ray (or maybe even Lightworks Final Gather) were available for formZ I might consider those instead. But Maxwell is here now and I don't know if any other options will ever appear.

Richard

Dan Kessler
Username: Dkessler

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

John,

Needless to say, the Maxwell image looks a lot better. Did you have to do a lot of surface style editing in Maxwell/Studio? Or, did you let Maxwell do all the translating? I assume you're using formZ 6.1 and the new Maxwell plugin?

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here some images for a work in progress.
This is not final renderings, just some shoots made in one night on a P4 dualcore 830 (see the performance test III for more informations)

For me, Maxwell is definitvly the best rendering system for Form*Z (except if you are ready to use another platform as 3D MAX, Maya... with Vray or similar)

JL

Richard Rush
Username: Rwrush

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Jean-Luc, could you post the render times? Your images, as well as John's, look good.

Richard

John Odom

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hello All,

The lighting on the FMZ rendering is completely faked in, I tend to just put some lights in and see how my scene responds to it, it is awful technique but that is how I have been doing it for a long time. The Maxwell scene is lit as it would be with real lights, can lights, target cans, and florescence bulbs. So, no the lighting is not the same for both scenes, neither are the materials. The Maxwell rendering is what the client is expecting to get out of his finished building, he was aware that the ceiling was a little bright.

The image was rendered at 2000x1500 pixels and it rendered to a sampling rate of 17, it took around 30 hours to render. You have to understand that there was a lot of geometry in this scene. I was using my hoss of a computer (dual quad cores, 19.3 GHz total) but I was only using 6 cores of it on this rendering.

To Richard, if you can afford around 9K, I’d build you a dual quad core machine…believe me it is worth it!

Maxwell is going very well now since they have come out with the new plug-in. I had a really hard time learning Maxwell studio, the new plug-in is so nice, most materials convert automatically for you, and the Maxwell materials are very easy to use with the plug-in. The only downfall is the time, but when you have a 19.3 GHz main computer and a 64 GHz rendering farm, time doesn’t really matter, renderings tend to fly… :-)

As I get more of my old models/new models, I’ll post them, I would encourage everyone to post as well, I love seeing this stuff!

John

Craig Williams
Username: Craigwilliams

Post Number: 160

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

John,

I thought Maxwell was limited to a maximum of four cores per license. Do you have multiple licenses?

Craig

John Odom

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Maxwell is limited to four cores per license, no way around that, but I do have multiple licenses, it was a hefty investment at $1000 a pop, but the increased speed is really nice!

John

Craig Williams

Post Number: 161

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks, John!

Maybe someday Maxwell will lose this limit.

Craig

(Message edited by craigwilliams on February 06, 2007)

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

John! You should have bought a license before the Beta period was over. They had a 50% discount and an extra license as a sort of compensation for overpromising and under delivering. Not a bad deal in hindsight!

Peder

Matt Edmonds
Username: Mattedmonds

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The "plusone" deal they provided took some of the bad taste out of my mouth during the beta period...

8 cores for $500...

John Odom

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Peder and Matt,

I did buy during the betta period, thats what I have been running the dual quad core on, but since then I have upgraded to having a rendering farm, so I had 20 extra cores to buy for, not fun....

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 109

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Richard,

It's difficult to give my rendering times...
I launch my render in the evening (with a very huge time as 48h) and I stop it in the morning.

Sometimes the rendering present a very clean result depending of the scene and the view.
Sometime I have to resume the rendering for a new session... (merging mxi)

John,
I'm happy to see you renderings and a new formZ user ready to go deeply with maxwell.

I think it's not really possible to compare the Lightworks and Maxwell.
Both have their force and weaknesses...

I like the very good implementation of Lightworks inside Z (one of the finest, Thanks to Autodessys's guys for that).
Its a very stable solution, very tolerant in most situations.

On the other hand I cannot achieve as easyly as in Maxwell natural lightning, especially for interiors views.

The rendering time is of course a important point, but we have to keep in memmory huge times are neccesary for a very accurate radiosity rendering or atmospheric (manual or automatic).

Maxwell is really a slow engine. It's a fact, at less if you want a very low level of noise.

I would like the support of IES lights in Maxwell. But I don't know if it's really possible.

I think the two rendering engines complement each other.
I use renderzone for intermediate level of realism and for his very nice illustrative patina (so english...)

Maxwell is reserved for hyper realistics renderings with a beautifull sunlight (so spanish...)

John,

I'm curious.
On you rendering above, are you using MXS materials? and where?
I suppose the car paintings are from Maxwell. But also see some very diffuse surfaces as the blue tube on the left corner.
You should avoid lambertian surfaces.
Next limit gave a tip for that:

"Optimization methods

There are two optimization methods that can do a lot to decrease render times in Maxwell Render. One is to not use large surfaces such as walls/ceilings/floors with too high diffuse values. The other optimization is to try and keep all emitter surfaces as low poly as possible. In most cases a single sided poly plane will be sufficient.

These images illustrate the amount of noise decrease just by taking care of these two optimizations.

The left image shows the walls/ceiling/floor with a diffuse material at RGB 240, and spherical emitters for all lights. Compared to the image on the far right, there is substantially more noise.

RGB 218 was chosen for the middle and right images because 218 approximately represents the reflectance of white matte paper. You could of course put this up a bit further with only a small increase of noise, but using 240 or more for walls and ceilings will not produce realistic results and will increase noise levels."

JL

(Message edited by Jean_Luc on February 06, 2007)

(Message edited by Jean_Luc on February 06, 2007)

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

This may be a better question for the Maxwell forum, but why would they put a limit on the number of cores a license will recognize? What are they going to do when 8-core systems are more prevalent? Make you buy another license? That makes no sense. How do you even get Maxwell to recognize two licenses now?

Craig Williams

Post Number: 162

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

I agree, at the very least the license should be limited to the machine, not cores.

Considering how rendering speed is Maxwell's biggest downside right now and how network rendering is the easiest way to get around this, I don't know why they would limit themselves this way....

Of course this could be a clever way to get companies to purchase additional licenses...hmmmm...

"Conspiracy" Craig

(Message edited by craigwilliams on February 06, 2007)

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 112

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

This is very common to limit the number of processors (now cores) for this kind of software.
This kind of limit exists for mental ray depending of the licence for Softimage...
This is a commercial problem
But, Yes, the number limited to 8 cores will become a problem when everybody will run 8 core machines... Probably Maxwell's editor will have to increase this number to the Next Limit! :-) (blague à deux balles)

Actually the licence is stocked in a little file. We have to load it in Studio.
I don't know what it happen if you install Maxwell on 50 machines separately and use them to make ccoperative MXI...

jL

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Is it really "very common" to limit the number of cores? CoreLimit,...excuse me, NextLimit is the only software company I've heard of (besides Mental Ray as you now point out) to have such a policy. Maxwell has maximum system requirements!!! Preposterous, I tell ya!

OK, I have two license.dat files. Pretending I have an 8-core system, how do I get Maxwell to recognize both of them at the same time?

Craig Williams

Post Number: 163

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There was a time when multiple cores could have been considered "luxury", but let's be honest, even with the upcoming 45 nanometer chip technology, we will probably never see single core machines again.

Currently, multiple cores are how new computers are achieving the majority of their increased performance. If your software isn't optimized to work with multiple "unlimited" cores, it's time is limited (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but I still believe it holds some truth).

Craig

John Odom

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

If you buy two maxwell licenses, Maxwell will send you a new license.dat file, it will have the "code" embeded in it that lets the computer know that you have two licenses. you cannot just amass a bunch of seperate license files and hope they work together. Sorry I know..

John

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Oh, I get it. So as a beta purchaser, they sent me another license.dat file. Under what circumstances would I use it? Network rendering, I assume?

John Odom

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Dan,

You would only use the two licenses in two different cases. One, have a dual quad core machine (eight cores) or like you said, using it in a network render application, which I would suggest highly, it is really easy to set up.

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Although like you said, if I had an 8-core computer I'd need to combine the two license.dat files into one in order to use all 8 cores. I'd be surprised if NextLimit would let the beta purchasers do that with their "plus-one" licenses.

John Odom

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

The plus one license that they sent you already has the two licenses combined into one...when you first bought a license from maxwell, you only had one license (4 cores), then when they sent out new licenses for the plus one, they had two licenses embeded within that single license.dat file. so you already have it combined, no need to worry about trying to get maxwell to "combine" them for you...as it is right now, you could run the dual quad core machine or have a network rendering going.

Does that make sense?

John

John Rafferty
Username: Johnrafferty

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi!

Great renderings. To see how many licenses
you just need to open Maxwell studio.
It displays the current no. of licenses in
the splash screen.

Cheers

John

Michael Kisselbach
Username: Kissel

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Is it really "very common" to limit the number of cores? CoreLimit,...excuse me, NextLimit is the only software company I've heard of (besides Mental Ray as you now point out) to have such a policy. Maxwell has maximum system requirements!!! Preposterous, I tell ya!

cebas with finalRender does it also. and i think renderman from pixar is based on cores as well, but not sure about this one.
i am also not too happy with the licensing and i hope they will update this to a more reasonable and appropriate system.

michael

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

John O., thanks. I didn't realize the plus-one license.dat file included two licenses (up to 8 cores). I thought it was another single license.

Dan

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

Here I have two Maxwell licences (beta purchase) and it work fine with all my computers...

I understand the "core limit" is not very friendly... and this is a good point for Lightworks with Z.
This make you nervous and sometimes I share this feeling of anger, not only in this case... (recently on this forum i had very hard words about the texture map tool and the match view tool). There is a piece of thuth in what you said. I hope that we contribute to make evolve the things.

Unfortunately, I'm sure you can found more software with this kind of limit in one way or another than the contrary.

In example just see here what Vray (a direct competitor of Maxwell) manage his license.

As you can see this policy is more tolerant for network rendering but more restrictive for single worksations. More than this you must have 3D max installed...

Jean-Luc

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks for the info on Maxwell licenses. John, I didn't nean to hijack your thread about comparing formZ renderings to Maxwell. So, I'll throw in some "test" images to try and get the discussion back on track.

Here's a simple scene from a cafeteria project. For some reason the tables look a little too tall, but that's another topic. You'll also see that the ceiling pattern got messed-up in Maxwell. I haven't tried to figure out why. All I did to the model was add light emitters in the fixtures. Everything else was a direct translation by Maxwell.

I "cooked" this in Maxwell for about 40 hours and reached a sample level of 15. Needless to say, that makes me really want an 8-core beast. FormZ rendered the scene in a couple of minutes.

The last image shows the Maxwell noise reduced with the default settings in Neat Image.

FZ.jpg

MW.jpg

MW Filtered.jpg

Matt Edmonds

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,
What are the machine specs for the machine that rendered this job?

Sincerely,
Peaches.

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 118

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

I'm very happy to see your renderings :-)

I suppose you've made these renderings on your Dual G4 2x1Ghz.
Admiting that it's normal you've get some relativly noisy results with 40 hours of rendering.
Of course you will hope some better results with an 8 cores machine...
But actually I consider that is very expensive.
With one or two dualcore you should expect very good results for a fraction of the price.

This said, ypu should use intensivly Maxwell materials (.mxs). Just read my post above about optimization made a correct use of them (not to hight diffuse values for wall, or in your case ceiling, keeping emmiters as low polyg as possible.

Also, if you are using a physical sky for the light in the background, you should use a skydome instead. (less calculation from the atmosphere). Nice morning ambiance by the way... I wait for some cups of coffee :-)

Is your ceilling a procedural shader?
Could be something wrong with the conversion.

jL

Nice morning

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Matt,
Crappy.0GHz...Actually, I used a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 with 4GB RAM & WinXP.

Jean-Luc,
My dual 1.0GHz Mac is my rig at home (Are you stalking me? Just kidding, you must have read my speed test results to know this). Yes, the ceiling is a procedural texture. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks for the feedback.

(Message edited by dkessler on February 07, 2007)

Matt Edmonds

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,
I think your ceiling looks pretty cool... Probably the best you've ever designed! Sort of a flattened-aztec aesthetic. :-)

Good ole' GD has been spending like mad... Can't those high-falootin'-fancy-shootin' employers of yours buy you a new workstation?

(Message edited by mattedmonds on February 07, 2007)

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 119

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry for the mistake about your hardware.
I've take my inf from the last performance test

I suppose your actual is a mono core?

I've just made a new rendering from yours...;)

jL

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

this one should be a bit better...

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Matt, you mean GD isn't still using his B&W G3? Too bad. Don't tell me that crazy bastard bought you a Mac Pro? Yeah, I think Maxwell will become my justification for a new system.

J-L, Ahhh, the 'ol Photoshop combo technique. I like it!

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

or this one

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

About you ceiling...
(In fact I prefer the Aztec design... :-)
You should use a map instead like this one
sorry it's in black but very easy to make a new one under psd

Matt Edmonds

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

GD has G5 Tower thats getting a little long in the tooth...
I have a green light to get a Mac Pro Tower when Leopard comes out provided Apple doesn't change directions on Boot Camp to run XP.

Right now I', running a brand new Dell Precision quad-core Intel machine. Core 2 Extreme...QX6700 if memory serves. We bought 4 of these at once for the project team I'm working with... they're sweet.

My personal is a 17" MBP 2.16 Core duo.

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 123

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Matt,

Lucky guy

Matt Edmonds

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,
What CAD are you using these days?

Dan Kessler

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Matt,
AutoCAD 2004. Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the hand-crank on my dual 1.0 G4. Will be seriously considering an 8-core MacPro if they're not too spendy. I read something about a Feb 20 announcement. We'll see. Your Dell is a single quad-core? Interesting.

J-L,
So share your technique. I like what you're doing.

(Message edited by dkessler on February 07, 2007)

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 126

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan,

You cannot ask me for that! :-):-):-)
It's you who had discovered this technique.

It's a mix from the renderzone rendering plus maxwell.

PSD:
renderzone on the top
first image
Renderzone tranparence arround 30%
nothing else

second image
Renderzone tranparence arround 30%
level correction

Third
Renderzone tranparence arround 48%
"luminosity" blending (not sure about the translation)
setting layer for level correction (0.65)

I prefer the last one;
it's more sharp
less noise
finest indirect red reflexion arrond the red square on the ceilling..

jL

(Message edited by Jean_Luc on February 07, 2007)

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member

Post Number: 128

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

have to go to sleep...
Tomorow is another day.
jL

Matt Edmonds

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, the Dell is a single chip quad-core at 2.66 ghz. We also have 2 other single chip dual-cores at 2.93-ish. As you might expect, they're actually faster for non-MP applications like Revit, but nowhere near as fast for Maxwell, Renderzone, and PS.

Mauri Knuuti
Username: Mauri

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I have just bye a maxwell rendering program and i have just little problem so i need some help from you,
And i cant export light rendering from fomZ to Maxwell
Texture are chanced in maxwell rendering And alha Channel to
i post a jpeg of area
Best Regards Mauri

Mauri Knuuti

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Maxwell 1

Mauri Knuuti

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mauri Knuuti

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Peder Lindbom

Post Number: 502

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Are you scaling your textures in FZ to another value than 100%?
If so try resetting the textures back to 100% and use the texturemapping tool to place and scale the textures.

Also (although I dont know if this is still the case) using the center texture button in the texturemapping dialogue doesnt work. Try setting the texture placement manually.

Does that help?

Try with a simple model and see if the textures come out correct.

I dont understand exactly what is going on with the alpha. Can you explain what the images illustrate? Are the buildings in the background geometry? Post the alpha image produced by Maxwell.

Lycka till!

Peder

(Message edited by Peder on September 24, 2008)

Mauri Knuuti

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Okey Thanks Peder . I have moere problemo
Then i try export lights from formZ so
dosent (look jpeg) work maybe if you spek swedish or finish landwish so i can better understand

Tack så Mycke Peder
Kiitos Paljon Peder

Mauri Knuuti

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Alpha cannel

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 5958

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Mauri,

Issues with Maxwell Renderings should be reported to Next Limit via their support page:

http://www.nextlimit.com/contact_tech.php

Of course you may also get help from users (like Peder) here, but if you are actually having problems, only Next Limit can fix them for you.

ZWebTech Support

abderrazak el kouhen
Username: Zozo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

hi , please i need some help , i'm a solidworks user i'm a new to maxwell i need some tutorial for render and texture ,can you advise please

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 10091

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Abderrazak,

Please see the following thread for using Maxwell Render with formZ:

http://www.formz.com/forum2/messages/142/22943.html?1248458164

Please let us know if you have any further questions. (If you do, you should probably start a new thread by clicking the Start New Thread button at the top of the topics list.)

abderrazak el kouhen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

hi , thank's a lot for your help i did all those steps and i get this result . chair

Peder Lindbom

Post Number: 795

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Abderrazak. It would seem you are barking up the wrong forum. This is the FormZ not solidworks forum. And moreover it is impossible to help you at all with the sparse information you are providing.

What result would you like to achieve?

abderrazak el kouhen

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry, but I build my model in solidworks and I try it render it with Maxwell and I’m trying to archive a photo realistic but i get a bad result like the photo i did show you , please i need some help

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 10097

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Abderrazak,

Are you using formZ?

Did you try the Maxwell forum for help with Maxwell Render?