How to I apply a conical decal to an ... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » How to I apply a conical decal to an ice-cream cone CHALLENGE! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Purchase
Username: Purcho

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi, I have to apply a graphic artwork that has been supplied to me by a graphic artist. The artwork he has created is designed for a conical wrap label for an ice-cream cone. It is conical in shape and supplied flat (looks like the arc I've attached). The problem I am having is getting this shape onto a cone I've created in FormZ, and to wrap properly around this cone 1 time. Without distortion.

I've tried the usual decal methods but nothing gives an adequate result. The label gets distorted in some way every time. Am I missing something. Can it be done? Or do I need to distort the image in photoshop perhaps.

Would really appreciate the help as I'm on a deadline for this.

application/pdfCone wrap label
cone-wrap.pdf (217.6 k)

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1517

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Andrew,

This mapping type is not easy in most software. Here are the steps that I used to achieve this in formZ:

1) First create a cone with the right proportions. We used circumference = 214mm, radius = 34mm, and overall length of the cone is 164.52mm. (Based on 2(Pi)R squared, and the Pythagorean Theorem.)

2) Convert the cone to faceted. The one I made had 24 steps to it, one for each 15 degrees of the circle.

3) Use the unfold tool. (Note that the resulting unfold depends on where you click, so you may need to try a few times so that you can get the cone flat in two main sections, the "cone" part, and the top. See file.)

4) Select the circle portion of the Unfolded object at the Face Topological Level and use the Separate Tool with the Along Boundary of Selected Faces Option.

5) Use the texture tool to flat map your image onto the unfolded cone. You can turn up the Renderzone texture resolution in the texture mapping preview window from Preferences / Textures / Limit Textures...).

6) Once you are happy with the flat map, change the mapping type to UV in order to lock it to the geometry.

7) Return to the modeling environment, and rotate the circle 90 degrees from a side view about the point that is shared with the rest of the cone.

8) Now, draw a guide for snapping the bottom of the cone 34mm down and perpendicular to the refernce plane.

9) With the topological level set to point, snap the bottom of the cone to the end of the line, and begin snapping the top points of the cone to their appropriate places on the circle.

10) Once you have snapped them all back to where they started, you are done. Use interactive shaded, increase the resolution of the texture display, and examine the cone to make sure it's all right.

The file with the steps is attached below:

application/zipcone
MappedCone.zip (116.0 k)

Hope this helps.

ZWebTech Support

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 108

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Bravo

Michael Kisselbach
Username: Kissel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

i also started using the unfold tool.
wouldn´t it be great if the unfold tool could store the "unfold" data and give you the possibility to fold back !
do not know if this is possible. if yes, then take this as a suggestion
michael