.EPS Import Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » .EPS Import « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Garden
Username: Insignificantspec

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey everyone, I've been having problems using a specific feature of form·Z and I wondered whether anyone here could help me? I am basically attempting to import an Illustrator .EPS file containing a rectangular block of text, so that I may then turn it into a piece of geometry that can be used in a 3D program. Logically, I'd have thought that importing the file was a simple case of selecting Import from the File menu and choosing my file, however when I try and import the .EPS I receive an error message along the lines of 'Error Reading TIFF file "temp.tif" Problem/Cause: Invalid File.' I have also tried importing the original .AI file and receive another dialog box, this time announcing an EPS stack overflow. If anyone could help me out here I'd be very grateful...

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1520

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Daniel,

Export your Illustrator file as version 8 or earlier, you may be able to import it. Regardless, can you send your EPS and existing Illustrator file so we can look into this?

ZWebTech Support

Daniel Garden

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The file sizes exceed the maximum allowed, so I have emailed them to you. Thanks, also, for the quick response; the file is actually the opening crawl text for a Star Wars fan film I am producing for charity, and so needless to say I am very appreciative of this help.

Daniel Garden

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well, thanks to your advice the initial problem is now fixed and I am able to import the .AI file at least. The words themselves, however, appear small with huge gaps in between the words (see attached screenshot): any suggestions? =SSpacing Issues

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 115

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Try converting the text to outlines before exporting out of illustrator...

Does that help?

Peder

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 1522

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Daniel,

We were able to open this file in AI, and it appears that we do not have the same font, and although we did not get a "missing font" message, the title in this file was not in it's proper location. In other words, we really have no way of knowing if this font matches. This file was created in a newer version of AI than we have, so it is AI's interpretation of your file.

That being said, we took the file and as Peder suggests, converted the text to outlines. Then we exported it as a dxf. No dxf import options should be checked, and the symbol options should be set to explode symbols.

This will bring the artwork into formZ. When you want to extrude the text, you will need to bolean subtract the centers of letters that have them. If you receive a "non-planar faces encountered", you will need to triangulate those pieces with the triangulate "non-planar faces only" option checked.

ZWeb Tech Support

Daniel Garden

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry about the font, I didn't really think. Thanks very much for this, I'll try that out now and give you some feedback in a bit...

Daniel Garden

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Well, I have followed all of the steps above (converted the text to outline in Illustrator, exported as a DXF) but now when I import the file into form·Z I see nothing. Sorry about this, it might just be me being thick but I just can't see any logical reason for this to be happening =S

K.S.
Advanced Member
Username: Kim

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Daniel:
I am not quite sure what you are trying to do but as I have done some text in Ilustrator and imported it into FZ for creating files to cut on a laser I thought I would just outline my process and see if that will help you.

I) In Illustrator 10 I create the text file. I make sure that the font I am choosing in Illustrator is also in FZ. (I found this reduced distortion and errors in text layout) . IF for some reason you are getting spacing problems with importing text into FZ. Then in Illustrator I highlight the fonts and select TYPE ---Create Outlines. This way you are importing non text elements into FZ.

2) I save the Illustrator file as an EPS file version 8.

3) Import file into FZ. FOR THE Text option I choose the same font as I had in Illustrator.

4) Then I can do whatever I want with the font namely extrude to 3D and distort.

As I said, I am not sure if you this is what you want to accomplish. But hope it is helpful.

Kim

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 1527

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Daniel,

This is working fine for us as described above. If you are not getting this to work, what version of formZ are you using?

Please also send us your resulting formZ (FMZ) file so we can see what you are getting.

ZWebTech Support

Daniel Garden

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm using version form·Z 5.5. At the moment the crawl text is undergoing some changes, so if it's okay I'll email you the .fmz once it's been updated in a day or two.