Arbitrary planes Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Arbitrary planes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

easymatic
Username: Easymatic

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi everybody, I have a small question:
When I use arbitrary planes I find it very difficult to get my axis in the right direction, a lot of times I end up working upside down... How can I set arbitrary planes in a predictable way, so it's always the right direction (up stays up, left, left etc...) and not having to try 10 times before I get it right... thanks, Easy

(Message edited by easymatic on February 08, 2007)

K.S.
Advanced Member
Username: Kim

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Easymatic,

If i need the arb ref plane in a particular direction I end up defining the arb ref plane by selecting the points on the object to which I am applying the ref plane.

The first two point define the x axis and as the 2nd point defines the point of origin and the third point defines the y axis.

I am finding it hard to explain how to determine in which direction the Z axis will point. If you worked on the original autocad attempt at 3D they used to explain it by holding your fingers as follows.
Thumb upright, 2nd finger straight out (like a kid pretending their fingers are a gun) and the index finger pointing out perpendicular to the 2nd finger. The thumb represents the x axis and the 2nd finger the y axis the index finger is the z axis (all positive sides). Thus whichever way you point your hand around you will see which direction your z axis will be pointing.

The FZ manual gives a good explanation on defining the arb plane.
I hope this helps you a little bit.
Kim

Michael McMillan
Username: Mike

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Easymatic

The manual does explain this, but it took me a while to grasp:

Always create an arbitary plane by selecting points (not faces). The first selected point will be X axis positive, the second will be plane origin and the third Y axis positive.

Incidentally, are you aware of the 'Plane Projection views (under Views menu)? These will give you an ortho plan / front / right etc view in respect of the active plane - brilliantly useful!

Mike