Animation question-velocity Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Animation question-velocity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Hannu
Username: Djhannu

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I've just started diving into the new animation features of FZ6, and I have a question.

I'm attempting to do a simple walkthru, where the only moving object is the camera. In older versions of FormZ, there was a velocity control graph where I was able to accelerate the camera at the beginning of the animation, and decelerate the camera to a stop at the end.

With the new version of FormZ, there are graphs in the Animation Editor for adjusting the eye point and center of interest x,y, and z parameters, focal length and spin, but no graph for adjusting the overall velocity (aside from the button for setting a constant velocity).

Am I missing something?

-Dave Hannu
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1540

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Dave,

There are several ways accomplish what you want. The easiest, but least exact method is to go to the animation timeline at the bottom of the window and drag the blue keyframe markers. Dragging the keyframe markers closer together will speed up the animation while dragging them further apart will slow it down. So in your case you will want to drag the first keyframe marker closer to the beginning of the animation to cause an initial acceleration. Likewise dragged the last keyframe further away from the end will cause a decceleration at the end.

For finer control you want to adjust eye point and center of interest curves in the animation editor. By default these curves are right on top of each other so to adjust them in tandem, fame pick with the mouse before dragging them. What this curve represents is the percentage of the total path length (vertical axis) covered up to the give time (horizontal axis). One simple rule of thumb is that dragging the controls toward the bottom right will slow down the animation, while dragging toward the top left will speed it up. Also note you can drag the handles for the controls. The type of handle is controls by the icons at the top of the dialog (lead in/out & key).

Finally, the built in formZ manuals has several animation tutorials at the end of the Animation chapter (access this by picking 'Manual' from the help menu). The bouncing ball tutorial should explain how you can control the velocity in more detail.

ZWebTech Support