Sketchup Import Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Sketchup Import « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sara Stone
Username: Sara_tat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Print Post

So here is the deal: I have exported my sketch-up file without "edges" turned on and selecting "faces" as a 2004 CAD file and imported it into form-z with (construct 3D solids) and (join adjacent coplanar faces) turned on. After a few attempts, my file came in as separate faces (good so that I may re-texture my faces) but 1/4 of the model was missing. I attempted again with the same options turned on as well as the "same color & layer surfaces" and "make smooth objects" on as well. This time it imported the entire model but it was completely triangulated. My major problem was not necessarily the triangulation, but I could not change the colors / textures of my building faces. I am so close to getting my company to purchase form-z, but if it can't import and work with sketch-up we will never upgrade! Help!

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1539

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sara,

You might want to try turning off the Construct Solids and use the Join Adjacent Coplanar Surfaces option instead. This will not join your objects, only the unnecessary faces. Does this do what you want?

If not, please send the DWG file to support@formz.com so we can see what the best options might be for this data.

ZWebTech Support

Christian Allebosch
Username: Christian

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sara,
Sketch-Up is a Do everything - Do anything nice almost free piece of software (more Anything than Everything) !
If your CO wants to get into serious business, they should better begin to consider a serious 3D/2D software (and not specially Z).
Sketch-Up is just good for individuals wanting to draft their kitchen !

My 0,2 Euro Cents

Cha

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 130

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Cha,
Nice read you!
Sometimes smalls softwares make great things...
Texture mapping?
jL

Christian Allebosch
Username: Christian

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi JL,

N'ouvre pas ta porte, y'a une bonbonne de gaz devant .

Well, let's get serious ... what I wanted to tell to Sara is that you can't build and devellop an Archi, Interior Design or Product Design CO with only Sketch-Up !

That Sketch-Up can be part of the pipe process, I do agree ... but not as a main tool !

Fais attention si tu sors ce soir !

Cha

(Message edited by christian on February 08, 2007)

Matt Edmonds
Username: Mattedmonds

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I would love to see an import option for SKP files in formZ... Anyone else?

Sara Stone

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks guys for the help. I just emailed the file over to tech support and will be trying what he says. In the mean time, I am torn between the two programs. Believe me, I love form-z, but there are sketch-up files for the majority of projects at my 65 person firm, and only two graphics people and only a minute few with form-z knowledge. I am trying to push them over to form-z, the principals like what it does and are ready to purchase the program, but for the moment, we would have to work with sketch-up.

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Advanced Member
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Cha,
terroriste! :-)
Have you read my posts here? Any opinion?
jL

Sara Stone

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

by they way, when you just import it with the "join adjacent coplanar surfaces" it works... they are "exploded" but it works

evan troxel
Username: Evant

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sara,

Here's my workflow from Sketchup to fZ which works great. When modeling in SKP, utilize groups and/or components. For instance, after building a cube, select all the faces and "group" them. These groups are the key to being able to apply surface styles to "objects" in fZ.

Export a 3d model in OBJ format.

In FormZ, import the file and check "Construct 3d Solids", "Join Adjacent Coplanar Faces", and "Use Groups to Form Objects".

Those will produce very nice geometry for FormZ.

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, ADS please consider adding .skp to your already impressive array of in/output formats!

Look here for instance:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?ityp=1

Peder

(Message edited by Peder on February 08, 2007)

Martin Malinski
Username: Notagain_uk

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Another option would be Right Hemisphere 'DeepExploration'...imports native skp files and exports 3ds...import to formz

Martin

Joshua Hendershot
Username: Jhendershot

Post Number: 138

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

i follow pretty much the same path as evan and the process works very well. groups is key.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1549

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sara et al,

We tried to stay out of this thread, hoping that somebody would make the points that ought to be made, which we have made quite a few times before.

SketchUp is not a solid modeler (by their own declaration). This means that images that appear to be 3d objects may be disconnected lines (wireframes) that do not completely enclose an object (the requirement of solidity). In these cases it is impossible for programs like formZ to construct solids. Setting certain parameters (such as "Construct Solids" and "Grouping") tell formZ to try to construct solids but it does not mean it can do it when the information it receives is incomplete. Being able to import .skp will not change much because the information needed to define a solid will still be missing.

Conclusion: If you need to take SketchUp objects beyond the "sketching" level you typically have to rebuild them. We pretty much confirmed this once again when we looked at Sara's file. Sorry, we wish that we could give you a better answer to use when trying to persuade your boss, but we have to say it is as it is.

ZWebTech Support

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 118

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb!
I'm in pretty much the same situation as Sara. I am a lonely FZ supporter in a mostly 2D Acad based office. More and more the architects around me are starting to get their feet wet with 3D modelling in pretty basic early sketch stages. They really like the sketchup tool and I think for the moment any hope of getting them to invest the time to learn a deeper soft like FZ is limited.

Still I can use FZ and produce the more challenging stuff which suits me fine.

My concern is being able to tap in to the power of ready made furniture etc. This will allow me to populate my models -it doesn't really concern me wether they are surfaces or solids as long as texturing can be maintained. For that same reason I think this grouping suggestion is of limited use to me.

So again -please consider writing a translator for .skp files.

(I understand it must sting after putting in so much work into creating a superior product to have such fierce competition from something like sketchup. Still it shows that interface aspects and ease of use is not to be underestimated.)

Best regards,
Peder

Adam
Username: Adzling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

yeah i second peder's comments.

Interface and ease of use should be a major goal of the next overhaul of formz.

Ok ease of use will be hard to obtain given the depth of formz's toolset.

How about a modern interface?

I know it's harder to implement an interface overhaul than add a couple more features but as i have said many times before:
Your interface is the user's most important tool and it has languished in Z.

Adam