Animated Entity Question Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Animated Entity Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thedigitaldraftsman
Username: Tdd

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ZWebTech,

I have create several animated views in a site model I'm working on. To control the preview of any particular one of them using the animation timeline, I select the view I'm interested in and click play.

Now I have animated an object along a path. It seems that regardless of the view I have selected, (animated or static) the animated object is always moving, as would be expected.

It would be cool to have the animated object running in some of the animated views, but not all. I imagine I can turn off it's layer if I don't want to see it running in certain views. My question is since the objects animation parameters are now part of the file, will this have an effect on the rendering performance of the rest of the views in the file whether it is visible or not?

KSB

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1545

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

digitaldraftsman,

We ran a quick test and determined that animated objects do add a certain amount of overhead to rendering an animated even if they are turned off. It's approximately 15% for a smooth object and 3% for a facetted object.

Finally you might find it useful to use the scenes palette if you have multiple layers that you wish to turn on/off simultaneously. The scene's palette allows one to save the state of your model under one entry (active view, which objects, layers, and lights are on/off, etc).

ZWebTech Support

thedigitaldraftsman

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

ZWebTech,

O.K. got that. Now a new question has arose. I have a vehicle that I brought into a site model. I grouped all of it's parts, chassis, wheels, windsheild, etc. I also have a spline path that I'm going to use to animate it. (animate along path) The problem is that when I select the vehicle group then click the spline after activating the animate along path tool, the vehicle, for lack of a better discription, turns inside out. I don't mean it's geometry is reversed, I mean all the parts are no longer assembled. Wheels shifted up 3 feet, chassis is rotated 90 degrees, etc. Is this possibly due to a misalignment of the original individual parts axis?

KSB

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1551

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

digitaldraftsman,

The best way to do this is a little different than the process you are using.

1) Place the objects in an -animation group- (the animation group tool is in the first column of the animation tools).
2) After you've created an animation group you will see a black xyz axis appear on the screen. This is the anchor point for the group. When animating the group along a curve, this point will be placed on the curve, and all the objects in the group will maintaine their position relative to it as the group moves along it. Use the 'Transform Object Axis' tool to move this anchor to where you want it.
3) When using the animation along path tool, pay attention to the align to path options in the tool options palette. This controls how xyz axis of the animation group is aligned with the curve

Does this help?

ZWebTech Support

thedigitaldraftsman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

ZWebTech,

Yes, I believe it will. I tested my theory the hard way. I moved each object's axis individually to a common point. It works, but is clearly much to tedious. I knew you guys must have dealt with this another way.

So... I use the animation group tool to lock all the objects together with a common group anchor point. Got it.

Thanks for the help.

KSB