Formz 6.0.4 and 64 bit Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Formz 6.0.4 and 64 bit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

daron pardine
Username: Tecton3d

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

hey all,

I'm just inquiring if FZ v6.0.4 is 64 bit compatible and windows x64 or Vista x64 ready? If not, when can we expect a full 64 bit version of Z? Can I install the aforementioned version on a windows x64 machine without a performance hit?

also, I'll be upgrading my video card to an 8800gtx and am wondering if there is anyone here with experience with this card when using Z?

thanks!

Anwar Al-Mallah
Intermediate Member
Username: Anwar

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

formZ 6.1 is 64-bit. No previous version supports 64-bit operation. I think there are still some issues running formZ under Windows Vista, however it peforms fine under Windows XP x64 (I have been using it this way for a few months now).

Anwar

daron pardine

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

thanks for the reply!

how much memory can Z 6.1 handle... the full xp64 bit amount? I'm upgrading to 8gb soon:D

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1555

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Daron,

formZ 6.1 has a 64-bit version. You can get more information and even purchase this update here:

http://www.formz.com/products/version_6_1/version_6_1.html

We have tested formZ extensively with Vista, and XP-64, and while there are no notable issues there, we have not conducted exhaustive testing with Vista-64. While we do not expect any particular problems, it will require more extensive testing to say for sure. Personally, I feel that drivers are just now catching up for XP-64, and I would expect that you would encounter issues / problems with Vista-64 not related to formZ. For this reason I would probably still choose XP or XP-64 for at least the next few months.

Both Windows-64 and formZ-64 will run a "little" slower than their 32-bit counterparts, but this should not be much of an issue, especially if you regularly will need to address more than 3 Gigs of RAM (In which case you will need a 64-bit system). You can also run the 32-bit version of formZ on a 64-bit system and access 4 Gigs of RAM without the slight formZ-64 performance hit.

ZWebTech Support

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 1556

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Daron,

Regarding memory, formZ-32 on Windows-32 can access 2 Gigs of RAM unless you set the \3GB Switch (in which case it can access 3 Gigs). formZ-32 can access 4 Gigs of RAM on OS X or Windows-64, and whatever RAM your computer supports (up to 8 Terabytes) with formZ-64 on Windows-64.

ZWebTech Support

daron pardine

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

thanks for the detailed reply:P

hardware won't be an issue as I currently have a dual 940 opteron system...

does the 64 bit version come packaged with all 6.1 versions of Z? ... or is it a seperate entity?

I'd be willing to take a little performance hit for the ability to have a full 64bit modeler. Having said that... will it be a noticeable slowdown with dual Opteron 285's and an 800gtx...? The only slowdown I'm concerned about is modeling/viewport since I use another renderer (FinalRender) for 90% of my output.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 1557

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Daron,

The 64-bit version of formZ for Windows comes with all 6.1 (and later) DVD's. The slowdown should not be noticeable -- unless you are using Vista and OpenGL (since Vista is no longer supporting this). Viewing files with OpenGL on Vista is fine, but moving or creating objects is slow. If you are transforming or creating objects with Windows Vista, you should use Wireframe Native Graphics for best performance.

ZWebTech Support

daron pardine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

thanks,

due to what I've been hearing about Vista, I believe I'll go with XP64 instead and perhaps upgrade to Vista in the future when some of the bugs are worked out and the performance matches that of XP64.

I'm ordering 6.1 as I type!!!! woot woot:D