SpaceNavigator support in Form•Z? Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » SpaceNavigator support in Form•Z? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henk Heijnen
Username: Heijnen_3d

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

After discovering the SpaceNavigator made by 3dconnexion(.com) I found that it works with Form•Z. does it work out of the box or with a plugin from 3dconnexion or Autodessys?

HH

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1566

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Henk,

You need to install the 3DConnnexion plugin from the formZ CD (or DVD): Plugins: 3DConnexion folder.

ZWebTech Support

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb,

Oke, Found it. Seams like you made this your self. Nice to see that you work hard to support this kind of hardware.

Haven't bought it yet but was considering if i would buy it as a temp. bundle with sketchup.

The device also has two buttons can they be used with form•Z on mac osX?

HH

Craig Williams
Username: Craigwilliams

Post Number: 169

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I was thinking about getting one of these...

If price wasn't an option what would users recommend?

Space Pilot
Space Explorer
Space Navigator
Space Traveler

Craig

Carlos Rego
Username: Carlosrego

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Craig,

This devices are not oficialy supported in Mac. But FZ team once again proved why they are considered to have one of the best customer support service in the software industry.... they created the 3D Connexion plug-in that also supports Mac and it works very well.
I use the Space Traveler with FZ on a Mac for more than a year and the overall experience is very positive. It's great to be able to rotate and pan a model while you are performing a modeling operation. It really improves workflow. There's only two drawbacks... The preview windows don't support the 3D Connexion devices and that's sad because FZ uses those windows a lot and, because of that, you cannot completely put away the command keys to set views.
The other drawback is that the drafting module also don't support the plug-in. I'm currently trying to identify the cause for a problem that occurs once in awhile that makes rotating some geometry slower than if you use the command keys.
But this problem usually don't happen and I'm still trying to figure out if it's something related with the graphic cards or if it's a FZ problem. In the end... I would definetly recomend you to buy the Space Traveler or Navigator.

Adam
Username: Adzling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Craig, I use the spacepilot (the one with the LCD display).

However because I use it on a mac the LCD isn't supported!

I had to use a little piece of software called controllermate to enable the various buttons.
It's a great piece of software that allows you to control many different types of controllers (game type controllers or pretty much anything w/out a mac specific driver) via very simple diagrammatic programming.

Controllermate also lets you program your connexion device to work with other non-formz software!!

Interestingly enough connexion now has a mac beta driver for the SpaceNavigator that you can download from their forums page (i think).

This driver also works to control the movement puck on the spacepilot (but not the buttons alas).

SO in summation I would stonrlgy recommend the SpaceNavigator but the premium I paid for the extra buttons and LCD on the SpacePilot where not worth it imho.

jeroen
Username: Hbg

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I got a spaceNavigator today, and it works nice on my macbookpro. For now only in formZ en Sketchup.

Craig Williams

Post Number: 170

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

It seems they are all the same controller...just some come with extra buttons.

Adam,
I'm on a PC at work. Based on how the LCD screen and extra buttons are "supposed" to work on the Space Pilot, would you recommend it then?

Craig

Adam
Username: Adzling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Craig, well given that the space navigator seems to be selling for as low as $60 on amazon and I bought my space pilot for @$450 it's hard to see what's worth that extra $390.

The navigation is the main thing, the buttons just replicate keyboard commands the LCD is really just eyecandy.

If the space naviator was available when I made my buying decision i would have chosen it instead.

Adam

Craig Williams

Post Number: 171

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Adam,

Thanks for the extra info.

Henk and Jeroen (or Ztech),

Since the Navigator has two buttons, would I be able to use all the navigation options within Z without ever using my mouse or keyboard? As an example, when using the walkthrough tool, I have the option to move, pan, rotate from a fixed eyepoint position. These can all be accessed by using the CTRL or CTRL + SHIFT keys. Can I have just as much control with the Navigator?

Craig

Peder Lindbom
Advanced Member
Username: Peder

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Craig, did you see this video?

http://cache.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopV6.html?ct=13&ctname=CT630X556D630X390&fw=630 &fh=556&logo=183&fv=9&ap=vnd_3dconnexion_knob_video&purl=MAIN_3dconnexion_knob_v ideo&iid=CCEpFVMzIIuqlLIlmKqLFVMwlluqIJ&bg=FFFFFF&nm=BZOpener&curl=&err=0&title= Vendaria%20Media&pf=t&fr=t&tp=&BV_SessionID=&BV_EngineID=

Not having used the tool (yet) I imagine that's pretty much how it works in FZ. Apparently it can also work in 2D apps like Photoshop and Autocad for panning and zooming.

I would also be interested in first hand experiences from other FZ users.

Peder

Craig Williams

Post Number: 172

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Peder,

Yeh, I looked at that video...and it looks great. I just want to make sure before I buy particular model that it works in Z similar to the video. I'd hate to buy this one, only to find out I need to hit the option button in order to PAN. Not like this one thing would turn me away, I just want to make sure there aren't several options missing.

Also, what happened with the SpaceBall? 3dconnexion doesn't appear to offer it anymore, but you can find it elsewhere such as CDW. I'm guessing they replaced it or axed it.

Regarding the SpaceNavigator, do I really need to purchase the $99.00 Standard edition if I want to use this at work? Or, is this just $40.00 additional for tech support?

I know, these are questions probably better addressed at 3dconnexion, but hey, if there are users out there, I'd like to hear it from them.

Craig

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

On Youtube are more movies about the SpaceNavigator and the other 3dconnexion divices.

It seems like the are marketing the SpaceNavigator as the ideal google earth browser.

HH

Bo Atkinson
Intermediate Member
Username: Boa

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I bought the space ball years ago and still love it. I wouldn't like the cap because it appears you have to use the arm-shoulder for lift motion. With the ball, my fingers more simply pry under it with much better response and feel. This is the whole problem with mice in that they demand too much shoulder-arm effort. (Track ball man here). The fingers & palm alone have a million degrees of motion. Not that i'm lazy, (I make more dough with physical labor than with design), rather it is the quality of exercise and over repetion of using a bicept muscle to control micro degrees of motion... spaceball is very tough physically getting squashed in travel, always works afterwards. If I had to replace with the latest devices, i'd probably try mounting a new ball to replace the cap thing;-)

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 1581

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Gentlemen,

Yes, the 3DConnexion devices can be very helpful for navigating while you are working. Some people love it, but a few don't. I guess it comes down to personal preference (ie, do you prefer a mouse or a trackball?).

Carlos,

The 3DConnexion devices should be able to function inside the Preview windows. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will get this corrected. (We will also add suggestion to allow this to Pan in Drafting...)

ZWebTech Support

Henk Heijnen

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Print Post

There seems to be an updated driver(since Yesterday) for the 3D Space navigator that has been tested with form•Z 6.1

Does anyone know if you need the SE (standard edition) or if the PE (personal edition) also works with Form•Z?

HH

rolf moeller
Username: Rolf_18

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I baught the PE version two weeks ago and I use it with formZ 6.0.4.

it works great!

no problems at all.

rolf

Brad Minton
Username: Bminton

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Help! I just bought a 3dconnexion space navigator and I installed the drivers, as well as the additional formZ drivers from the installation CD. It does not work in formZ at all. I am using Renderzone 6.5.6. There is a 3dconnexion.fzp and a 3d connexion.ENU.fzr file in the plugins folder of my formZ application folder. Any suggestions?

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 5012

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Brad,

If you go to the formZ Extensions Menu: Extensions Manager, scroll to the bottom, are these extensions loaded?

ZWebTech Support

Brad Minton
Username: Bminton

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Support,

Yes I found them, and I just had to apply the check mark, all is well now. Thanks so much! Support at formz is great!

Brad