Congratulations on 6.1 Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Congratulations on 6.1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pylon
Username: Pylon

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Congratulations on 6.1

I have been working nonstop for 3 weeks on an incredibly complex industrial design model for manufacture, using my new Macbook Pro.

Two comments:
1. I am immensely satisfied with the stability of this release, as I have been with all recent formZ releases. It's as rock-solid as one can possibly expect from an application this full-featured and powerful (and necessarily, complex). All the more impressive, considering that this is the debut native release for a new architecture!

2. I am blown away by the current power and flexibility of formZ's smooth modeling. This is now a (very) nearly mature implementation. Since the ability to transform smooth topologies was introduced in version 6, I have been using smooth models almost exclusively. (I still use faceted for background elements that need the lowest possible polygon counts.) To any users who don't yet use smooth modeling (at least on occasion): now is the time, it's great.

(Yes, there are still occasional quirks that need to be ironed out re: moving smooth topologies, but it sounds like most of these need to be addressed by ADS to Spatial. Hopefully, they will be responsive.)

Not just a plugin developer, but an enthusiastic user,
Ben

----------------------
Pylon Technical
Plugins for formZ
www.pylontechnical.com

Bo Atkinson
Intermediate Member
Username: Boa

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I want to second the congradulations. I like having so many ways to approach models through Smooth and Facetted both. Yet it would not surprise me if a "wavy" object type came along, as yet ;-) It feels to me that high level math is directly available now to solve inumerable design issues and almost directly control physical construction as well. Z has tools I use every day now and cannot quite imagine living without.

B o

Roman
Username: Teamturbo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I was pleasantly surprised when I selected a line of a curved wall, moved it down, and presto the wall adjusted itself into an angular-curved wall beautifully.

eric frisch
Username: Frisch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

hi
i m new on the forum and i agree with pylon and bo, a really great 6.1 version.
i worked 12 years ago with formz until 1999 with my own version until 3.5.
The difficulty at this time to developp the software let me change to windows and differents software, mainly rhino and recently sketchup but last month i got the try version and decided to update my 3.5 to 6.1 and come back to mac.
a good decision.
I read many topics discussing the differences between rhino formz sketchup and others.
I like sketchup and will continue to work with, as well as cinema 4d but we need at the office a solid modeleur as central tool to developp the design.
I m really very very happy afer two weeks to be back to formz.
Thanks a lot for the differents improvements.
I just would like so much to see the same quality and improvement in the draft modul.

eric

Cristiano Bacchi
Username: Macbac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I totally agree.
Great release.

CristianoBathroom Habitat