Maxwell Materials.... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Maxwell Materials.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William Liow
Username: Willpowe12

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I have a few questions regarding maxwell. I have the latest formZ update.. 6.1 and the latest maxwell plugin for formZ. There are a few bugs, such as the surface style palette turning black when assigning a maxwell material to it. I haven't tried Rosetta mode yet, as the black palette is only a very minor problem. My priority right now is to render images using Maxwell textures and emitters. I suppose you can set up the full render and render without going into Maxwell studio?

From what I understand, after uploading a maxwell material, you have to press click on "map style" and that overrides the formZ surface style. I've downloaded a lot of the maxwell materials, and have kept it in one materials folder i made under my documents folder. I don't assume that i should put the files under my mxm folder in the maxwell application directory? The thing with Maxwell is that its problems are never consistent, so it's hard to pinpoint the problem! Though I believe it's only a materials associated problem. Somtimes the maxwell render window won't open after i press Maxwell render from formZ. Then i change the output paths to another folder, and all of a sudden it's ok. At first my formZ materials were rendering in maxwell. I've generated some images. Now the materials render white. Maxwell materials won't render at all. Can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to materialize my model with maxwell materials, beginning with what i do with them after i download the materials?? thank you!

William Liow

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"The mxs file has not been written successfully. Check the geometry of the scene and the texture formats. Purge unused materials"

This is what its saying now.. after I applied maxwell materials to my objects... The geometry of the scene is fine; i've rendered this before. But in due of my frustration with maxwell, I styled everything a formZ white, and deleted the rest of my materials. Then I added new surface styles (maxwell)..

William Liow

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"The mxs file has not been written successfully. Check the geometry of the scene and the texture formats. Purge unused materials"

This is what its saying now.. after I applied maxwell materials to my objects... The geometry of the scene is fine; i've rendered this before. But due to my frustration with maxwell, I styled everything a formZ white, and deleted the rest of my materials. Then I added new surface styles (maxwell)..

Tom Cameron
Username: Tcamco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Make sure all your texture maps are Jpegs. Maxwell doesn't play well with other formats like tiff

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 155

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

William,

Take a look here

with a good organization,it's really easy to use Maxwell materials with the last plugin.

Just load the right material in the material dialog.

Tom,
I'm not aware about problems with tif.
Can you be more specific?
Where have you found this information?

Thanks in advance,
jL

render monkey
Username: Johna

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

William,

When I am in this situation, I will do as you have done, save a copy of the file, remove all the textures in this new file, save it, then export to make sure the plug-in writes the geometry. (Which you have done, according to your report.)

Now assign one texture and make sure it writes the .mxs Keep doing this until you get a message or determine what material Maxwell is not liking.

Then you will be able to determine what specific situation is causing your problem, then go back to your textured file and fix all such similar situations.

I always use the "materials datbase/texures" folder in my Maxwell folder if I download a material with a map.

William Liow

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Jean-Luc,
i'm following your model; thanks. I'm about to retexture my model. In the meantime, do I seperate .jpg, .ior, and .mxm into seperate folders and assume maxwell will know how to look for it? Right now i've put all the downloaded materials into my newly created "material" folder.

Tom Cameron
Username: Tcamco

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Jean-Luc,
I just ran a simple cube test with the 6.1 plug-in using a .tif file and it seems to work fine now. In the past plug-in, I could only use jpeg images to get Maxwell to render.

Des Clarke
Advanced Member
Username: Desclarke

Post Number: 150

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tom is correct in that the last plugin supported jpegs. They say the latest supports tiff, pgn etc., but I have been sticking to jpeg (bumpmaps must be in RGB and not grayscale to work) to be an the safe side. Also, make sure in texture map controls that none of the wrapped textures on an object is set to Flat, it/they have to be set to Cubic or UV (UV better). By doing this I have been getting more reliable exports.. Try the "render textures" on a "saved as" file, seems to work a lot better than relying on Maxwell plugin to export the procedural surface styles.

Des

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 156

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

William,
When you use a MX material with image map and .ior or .r2 files you have to verufy if all external files are correctly loaded.

So here is my process:
1-download the archive from NL website
2-I place the .mxm in "MATERIAL" folder
3-I place the textures and .ior or .r2 in the "TEXTURES" folder
4-I open the .mxm with the material editor and I verify all the path (you should see a crossed icon for the map unloaded)
It's now very easy to find the path because its directly located under c: (system disk). Each time you not have to search again and again for a new path.

Just think to backup correctly thes directories...

here is the complete discussion where come from the previous screenshot

Des,
Can you be more specific about the flat projection.
I use a lot of this kind of projections without any problems.
This said, UV map seems to be the best solution.
Sometimes I've had some bad results with the previous plugin. OGL is a very good solution to foresee what it may happen with texture because It seems that Maxwell export in UV mode (as OGL)

jl

Des Clarke
Username: Desclarke

Post Number: 152

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Jean-Luc, there was an issue regarding flat applied textures, maxwellz wasn't exporting them as UV. I think it has been resolved (I'm not sure), but I got into the habit of applying all textures in cublic or UV and I have been getting much more reliable exports. If you have a parametric applied texture, switch it to UV after.
That's all I can say on my limited experience, but I haven't generally been getting the export problems other people have been reporting here..

Des

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 157

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Des,
If I'll find some problems with texturing I'll report them here...

jL

William Liow

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

thanks for your help guys. I figured out that i should keep formZ and maxwell as seperate as possible. Though the plugin is nice, it just created so many problems for me, that i just gave up trying. I have yet another question.. a simple, straightforward one this time... is it possible to update the model in my .mxs if i have a few changes to the geometry?

will

render monkey
Username: Johna

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

William,

What I am doing is creating/tweaking my formZ materials so that I am happy with them in Maxwell.
This way I can go back to formZ and make changes if I need to. That being said, I can't get them all to work well, so I'll replace those few again in Maxwell Studio.

Maxwell can import objects, which would be another way to go about it, simply import the object that got revised into your Maxwell scene. Personally, I've not had much success with this, but I was thinking that Jean-Luc or Peder recently posted something about doing this, so they may be better able to answer here than I.

Happy Rendering!

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 160

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

William,

If you have to update the .mxs, it's possible with the studio.

There is a very nice feature to do that FILE menu > import objects to scene.
There are some usefull options...

Nevertheles, the new plugin is really more rapid than the previous, so it's easier to export again the scene.

By the way, if you go to studio...
There is a powerfull feature named "pack and go"
Thios offer to the user a nice way to export all the files needed by a scene in a precise location.

This is helpful to render manually the scene on several computers...

Don't forget Maxwell can render and resume the render!
Actually to do that you have to launch the rendering from Maxwell render with a precise SEED parameter IE 1 for the first rendering and so on for all others
SEED 2 for the second, SEED 3 for the third and etc...
After all renderings made you can merge them in only one.
From this process you can increase the SL (Sampling level) and of course the overall quality.
Maxwell license run actually 4 cores)

So, you can render for one night and in the morning if the quality is not enough you just have to launch again the rendering; up to the required level.

Hope it hepls;
jL

William Liow

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Ok now.. a quick maxwell materials question..
how do i turn down the reflection for glass?
will

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 161

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Will,
Edit your material
use AGS (architectural Glass solution) by Tom (in your material folder)
Go to the Reflective layer BSDF increase the roughness
Go to the tint layer BSDF increase the roughness

jl

PS,
Feel free to post any other questions...
I will respond tomorow;
For now I have to go to dodo...

(Message edited by Jean_Luc on February 16, 2007)