Animate an object using rotation tool Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » Animate an object using rotation tool « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isaiah Dunlap
Username: Zec7

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

when i rotate an object for an animation the object rotates using all three axes (x,y,z)..how can i stop this so i can rotate only one axis while the other remain the same?

And, when i set up a series of keyframes for example move forward, move to the side, move backwards, then rotate on x-axis only, then rotate on any y-axis only, I get the same problems address above and also the problem of that y-axis only rotate is affecting previous keyframes causing a manipulation to the x-y positional movement of the object. How can I isolate the rotation axis and stop it from manipulation the positional movement fo the object?

Jeffrey Lebowski
Username: Dude

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Isaiah,

I prefer to animate (especially rotations) from within the Animation Editor. I feel like I have much more control and predicability.

dude

Silicon
Username: Treebeard

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Isaiah,

I've seen formZ do this quite a bit and have previously reported it to ADS. The problem is trickier to fix than it appears because formZ doesn't record how you get to a particular point, rather formz just remembers the location & orientation of the key points. The path it takes is then reconstructed using various interpolation methods. Unfortunately these methods don't handle rotation around a single axis very well.

The workaround is to rotate only a small number of degrees (less than 90). The go into the animation editor and locate the animation tracks in the graph area (uncheck the hammer icon to make only those visible). Edit the points of the tracks you don't want to rotate back to a constant value. Then edit the desired rotation axis to the full value you desire.

If you want continuous rotation/translation an easy way to extend an existing motion indefinitely is to go to the 'After' tab in the animation editor palette and set the 'Type' to 'Tangent'. This takes the existing curve and extends it off to infinity.

Silicon Treebeard

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1643

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Isaiah,

The rotations are actually working properly, but the rotations are done sequentially, so it can be a bit confusing if you are repeatedly tweaking the rotation angles. We are looking into ways to make this more intuitive.

Below please find a few suggestions that can make this easier for you:

1. When keyframing the rotation in one axis of an object, make sure to use the "Relative to" / "Object Coordinate System" in the Rotate tool, or use the "Transform" tool where you can select one axis.

2. If you have already rotated an object about one axis, and you want to rotate it about another axis while preserving the first rotation, then put the object in an animation group, and rotate the animation group's axis. This way the object's rotation in the first axis will be preserved with respect to its parent, while its parent also rotates. (Use the "First Picked" option in the Animation Group tool's options to align the animation group to the child properly.)
Note, the object's positions are now defined with respect to its parent group. If the object needs to move around also, it may be easier to add position tracks to the group, or even add another parent group that handles the position tracks. The key here is to divide up the work hierarchically.

3. If you are having trouble animating an object in just one axis for the first time, try "locking" the other two rotation tracks and position tracks (in the Score or Editor palettes). If you are still having trouble, put the object in a group and now rotate the OBJECT since it's angles will now all be 0 with respect to its parent. (Use the "First Picked" option in the Animation Group tool's options to align the animation group to the child properly.)

4. Try using the "Key All Existing" option in the Keyframe tool or Autokeyframe options to capture all tracks every keyframe. This would help prevent unexpected changes to previously captured keyframes.

5. Try using the "Keep Flat" option in the Keyframe tool or AutoKeyframe options to prevent succeeding keys from affecting preceding keys.

ZWebTech Support