A thought to improve formZ market share Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive February 2007 » A thought to improve formZ market share « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anwar Al-Mallah
Intermediate Member
Username: Anwar

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I know improvements are coming to formZ drafting, and that will be welcome if it integrates well with modeling. However, since the current draft moduel is so old, why not give it away?

I doubt that ACIS is implemented in it, and Lightworks is not, so it won't cost anything. Imagine how much a free drafting module could promote formZ. Then when it is updated people will pay to upgrade from the free "lite" version to the pro version, and maybe even buy the rest of the system.

And it would be a way for formZ users to give some limited data to clients that they can interact with.

Just a thought.

Anwar

Jean-Luc DAUREIL
Username: Jean_luc

Post Number: 184

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Anwar,

I like your idea from another point of view...

Here I teach to students and... (of course) :-) they use for the silent majority illegal copy of softwares (mostly Autocad, Archicad or Arc+)

FormZ is pratically not used in French school of architecture.
So it's very difficult for students to try FomrZ, in fact generally they don't know its existence!
There isn't any student licence except the join study program.
So except if the manager of the computer graphic department in a given school try join the program the situation is blocked.

I've personnaly try to change this at my level;
but I don't teach computer graphic but architectural design so I can't make a lot of things.

I try to introduce this great software to my students but they can't use the program.

There is no individual legal way...
I mean it's impossible for a student alone to run a legal copy in my country.

This is a severe handicap to the deployment of Z in France.

Because we all know that students is an excellent vector for software diffusion in the profesionnal area.

This make me sad.

Each new day I see new softwares with a very attractive power for new users, the latest was sketchup...

So I feel good the idea of a student license, a free license with limited features or why not, free drafting.

I'm sure there's something to improve in this field...

Of course the french marker is not equal to the US...but France is not the lonely country concerned.

I'm very interrested about zwebbtech's opinion on this.

Zwebtech, have you this kind of things in your suggestions list?

jL

Dan
Username: Designd

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Jean

I think you got a point there.
I my opinion, students should get a free license of a fully functional program for a limited time, let's say 4-6 month.
Each student will be able to extend his license 2-3 times. This will cover 2-3 semesters on One hand and will prevent an illegal abuse of the free student license on the other.

Dan

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1642

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your comments. However, please recognize that we have a strict policy against discussing sales and marketing matters on the forum.

ZWebTech Support

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

If I can put in my 2, I would vote for "better" GI and a "formZ Lite" version. Hopefully the GI version will be here SOON!! :-)

EDIT -- Oh, and Jean Luc -- ADS has a great program for schools. If you are interested, check out this page:

http://www.formz.com/Joint_Study.html

(Message edited by bob on February 26, 2007)

(Message edited by bob on February 26, 2007)

Jason Brown
Username: Valkama

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert.

The student program is limited by the fact you have to have a teacher that actually teaches a formz class. This is a problem in my area as they constantly have trouble finding anyone to teach and so the students are left without the option of using formz. What is needed is a free copy for students so they can try it individualy.

thanks

robert smith

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Jason,

I doubt a "full copy for free" would really work (or else I'd like to have a few more copies "just for learning" -- yeah, that's right, just for learning ).

Perhaps if they did something like the Maya PLE where it only rendered at a limited resolution, saved in a "proprietary format" that the full version did not read, and eliminated the export options, this could be an option. ZWeb -- how about a "Public Learning Edition?"

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 191

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

robert,

If you read me carrefully, you should understand why the Joint study program is difficult to run here... "So except if the manager of the computer graphic department in a given school try join the program the situation is blocked. "
Perhaps I havn't be clear, or I missed somthing?

jL

robert smith

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

jL,

I don't know if it helps, but I found these links:

http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=52068

http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=79981041+F

Also if you are interested in the joint study program, it looks like you should email zwebmaster@formz.com...

Hope this helps... and good luck with the PLE! :-)

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 195

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Robert,
It's always interresting to have these informations...
:-)
jL

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1647

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Gentlemen:

Some of the comments in this thread may give the impression that the Joint Study Program is difficult to run. This is generally not true (even though there may be difficulties in a few specific cases). The Joint Study Program continues to be very successful and this past year issued close to 14,000 student licenses. But beyond quantities, it is also successful qualitatively (in terms of what students are doing with form.Z), which once again we are in the final stages of reviewing and assembling last year's Joint Study Report. We hope that this should set the record straight.

Regarding suggestions about a "public learning edition" we do have what we call a "demo version" which is really that, and recently we included our full set of manuals (stored electronically) which can be accessed via the formZ Help Viewer, or any other PDF viewer. We shall also soon announce more in this direction.

ZWebTech Support

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 197

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ZWebTech Support

Don't misunderstand me.
I don't want to say that the joint study programm is "difficult to run".
Thanks to Trica Weaver, I've received the joint sudy program report for these 7 past years.

this is a WONDERFULL document

My only problem is that it's an important decision to run a joint study program in a school.
I'm personally able to take this decision alone.

Given this the point is:
How a student in France can run Form*Z without purchasing a full professionnal license?

The limited demo is definitivly NOT a solution in this case, even it's really good to have it to discover the programm.

I don't see any other solution except piracy.
I'm against this. I want to be extremely clear on that subject.

More than commercials questions, (what I understand very well), one of the raisons is the fact that this forum is forbidden to these users...

Thank for your reading and intervention.
I'm absolutely sure that you will make improvements in the future in this field.

Not only because you understand your user's needs but because others competitors will take the advantage from this.

jL

shauser
Username: Dexel

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

How a student in France can run Form*Z without purchasing a full professionnal license?

Probably like this:

http://www.itskauf.de/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2&products_id=5532& language=en&osCsid=40208be19a4a47997d8e24121ed85fa9

Afaik they ship to all european countries.
200 EUR/year is no giveaway, but it's affordable for someone who is committed and not just tinkering with various software.

Jean-Luc DAUREIL

Post Number: 198

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

shauser,

Thank you very much for that link.
I wasn't aware about such posibilities.
It could be a solution...

jL

Anton Voloshin
Username: Ahtoh

Post Number: 36

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

In Russia - country of software piracy I am 2-nd legal user of Form*Z. I use it because I learned about it in the States, using the Joint Study. Another guy found out about it from me. But despite the fact our people steal programs, Autodessus is selling it too.
Many of architects here are using Autocad. It is often stolen. But despite there are also legal copies. Same thing with Microsoft, Adobe, Quark etc. So Microsoft, Adobe, Quark are making money in my country. Unlike you. And designers and architects aren`t able to use your wonderfull product. They don`t even know about it. There are no reps, there are no support, there are no sales.

Anwar Al-Mallah
Intermediate Member
Username: Anwar

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well, that's why I suggest they give the drafting away - I don't think it would mean ADS spend really any money (maybe I'm wrong about that). But it seems to me that no 3rd party stuff is implemented in it, so there's no licensing fees. And they must have recouped the development cost for the drafting as it is now (they only improvement in several years has been the much needed text search/replace tool).

Then, post it all over the internet, so that anyone can find free drafting. I bet the number of computers with FMZ files would double or more in one year this way. Getting the word out can't hurt.

Anwar

Jeffrey Lebowski
Username: Dude

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Maybe they should give away version 2 without renderzone for a limited time. Then you have to pay to upgrade.