Preferences and window size Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2007 » Archive March 2007 » Preferences and window size « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henk Heijnen
Username: Heijnen_3d

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb,

I thought that if i save the layout of my pallets and adjusted window size via the general Preferences that when I open a new project the window size would be as it was when i saved the Preferences.

I also noticed that if i resize the model window just a bit the resize bar is not displayed correct.
resize

Using Form•Z 6.1.1 om MacBook Pro (2.33 Core 2 Duo) mac OsX 10.4.8 (build 8N1037)

HH

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1697

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Henk,

Yes, there is a minor redraw issue when resizing a window by less than the width of the scroll bar on a Mac. Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

The Project Options are saved in the Template File. Please see the following tech note for this, and more preference details:

quote:

-- Preferences: How do I customize formZ so that it launches the way I want?

formZ offers extensive preferences that allow you to customize how it launches. Most of these options are available from the Preferences command from the Edit Menu. The main set of preferences can be found in the Preferences / System / General, and Project / General sections. System / General allows you to save a 'master preference file.' This will store all of your System Options. Project / General allows you to designate a Template file, which allows you to store all of your Project Options. You can easily switch between multiple Template files if you like, which can make it easy to work on many different types of projects. Note that if you want to use a certain Template File on the next session (i.e., after you quit and relaunch formZ), then you should re-save your Preference file after designating the Template File.

-- How to tell whether an item is a System Option or a Project Option?

System Options remain constant across projects, while Project Options can vary from project to project. To tell whether a specific option is a System Option (and thus stored in your System Preferences) or a Project Option (and thus stored in your Template file), perform the following test: Get a New Model, change the option in question, and get another New Model. (For example, try changing the circle settings from Smooth to Facetted, and changing the color of the background from the Options Menu / Project Colors, and moving a Palette.) When you get the New Model, if the item remains changed (i.e., the Circle = Facetted and the Palette is still moved) then this is a System Option, and will be saved in the System Preferences). If the item you changed reverts to its previous setting, then it is a Project Option, and will be saved in a Template File).

-- What is a Template File?

A Template File is a formZ (FMZ) file that stores your project settings. It can contain Project Colors, Grid Settings, Working Units, Surface Styles, Display Options, and even lights, layers, views, and objects. This file can be saved anywhere you like, and is set from Edit / Preferences / Project / General. As noted above, if you wish to always use this Template, re-save your System Preference file after designating the Template File.

-- Other Preference Tips: How should I save my preferences, or how do I reset formZ to factory defaults?

Only save Preferences at the beginning of a session. If you have been working for awhile and then save your preferences, it will store all the system options that you have changed while you have been working -- and most likely this will include many options that you are not aware of and probably do not want. This can cause formZ to appear to behave "erratically" because the next time you launch formZ, it will be using different settings than it was previously. (Never use the Previous Session option, as this will compound this problem.) Therefore, you should launch formZ, change anything and everything that you can think to add to your System Preference file, and Save these preferences. As you get to work you will inevitably find additional items you wish to add to these preferences. At this point I would recommend making a note in a text document or on a sheet of paper, and whenever it is convenient, quit formZ, relaunch, make these changes, and then save the preference file. This way you will save exactly what you want in your preferences, and nothing else.

Also, formZ creates a "set of master preference files" that references any preferences that you have created. If you wish to reset everything to the "factory defaults" you can do this by Quitting formZ and deleting the autodessys folder. (formZ will recreate this folder when it is next launched.) On OS X, this is located in HOME \ Library \ Preferences (where HOME = Hard Drive \ Users \ [YOUR LOGIN NAME]).On Windows, this is located in C:\ Documents and Settings \ [USER] \ application data \ (If you do not see application data, go to the Tools Menu of Windows Explorer, select Folder Options, click the View Tab, and select Show Hidden Files and Folders.)

ZWebTech Support

Henk Heijnen
Username: Heijnen_3d

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Zweb,

So the size of the window is saved in the project file and for a new project it is coming from a template file?

HH

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 1699

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Exactly...