Importing vector art work from Illust... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2002 » Archive May 2002 » Importing vector art work from Illustrator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arthur O'Keeffe (arthur)
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Does any body know what are the best file types and conditions for importing vector based artwork from adobe illustrator 9 into formZ 3.5.5 (all MAC).

Arthur

torge anders (tarzaaan)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Print Post

For export from Freehand 8 to formZ 3.6.5, I allways use the "Illustrator 3.0"-format. This format preserves the controlled curves widely used in Freehand, and at the same time is more exact than for example the EPS-format. Another good file-type may be the DXF-format - but I don't know very much about it, since Freehand 8 does not export DXF-files.

Torge.

Bernd Meissner (bmeissner)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Arthur,

usually I take files from Illustrator 7 directly to FormZ, without any version change. I know, ai3 is often recommended, but I didn't have any problems with version 7. Although I also have AI10, I wouldn't choose a version newer than 7, since Adobe changed a lot of things which turned out to be problematic with various other applications.

Don't use EPS format, *.ai is all you need. And don't use DXF from AI or FH. FZ imports Illustrator splines perfectly. You have better control over the resolution in FZ, instead of converting the splines to segmented lines/polylines beforehand.

Regards,
Bernd

support@formZ.com (tech)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Arthur,

Illustrator formats 3 through 8 are essentially unchanged. Version 9 (or later) did change the format, and we do not (yet) read Illustrator v.9 format. Therefore, save your file to an Illustrator version PRIOR to 9 and you should be able to bring in your file without difficulties.

ZWebTech Support