Differences Between B3d And FormZ, Co... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Differences Between B3d And FormZ, Comparison With SU « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ahmet Nsr
Username: A_iverson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Print Post

First, i want to say my english is not so good. Maybe i can't explain my question well. I already sorry for that.
I use Sketchup new but while i was searching new programs, i saw bonzai3d and FormZ. And i started to watch the videos. And i realize the Bonzai3d and FormZ have same features. But this is confused. And i asked myself why the autodessys product 2 same programs. So i want to know the differences between Bonzai3d and Formz and comparison these programs with Sketchup.

Thanks and sorry for my english.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17148

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Ahmet,

Welcome to the forum!

formZ and bonzai3d both have tools in common and share a similar interface, but they are not the same programs. Bonzai3d is what we consider an "intermediate" level modeling program that has the most common tools that most users need. It has an easy to use interface like SketchUp, but it offers both Smooth Geometry and Solid Modeling which go way beyond what SketchUp includes. It also allows you to much more easily create quality geometry that will not lead to a dead-end if you need to use the model for animations, 3d printing, CNC, or other uses where good geometry is important.

formZ is a more advanced program that includes almost twice as many tools as does bonzai3d. formZ also includes the ability to generate animations, and a Layout mode for generating construction documents, which bonzai3d does not have (although basic camera animation will be added to bonzai3d in the future).

Perhaps the best option would be to start with the formZ 7.0 Trial version, that you can get by filling out the form here:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/formzTrial.html

From the Workspace Menu you can choose bonzai3d -- which will show the bonzai3d tool set -- and which you can use to follow along with the bonzai3d Tutorial Videos. Once you are up to speed on these, you can then explore the other Workspaces that formZ offers, and if you find that a tool is important to your work flow -- you can check to make sure that it is in the bonzai3d tool set. If this is always the case, then bonzai3d would be a good choice, but if you find that you need the more advanced features that formZ offers, then you can choose formZ.

We will be coming out with a more detailed comparison between formZ 7 and bonzai3d in the not too distant future, but this is not ready just yet, so hopefully the above comparison will help for now.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help. :-)

Ahmet Nsr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks FormZ. Be a good explanation for me. I will try Bonzai3d and FormZ.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17153

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

No problem -- let us know when you have further questions!

Ahmet Nsr

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

When will the Bonzai3d's new version v3 release ? Can you give a date for that ?

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17163

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ahmet,

We do not have a specific date, but this should be later this year...

Ahmet Nsr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Can i create sci-fi and fantasy models and scenes with form-z and bonzai3d or only architecture ?

Dan Shear
Username: Redrngr

Post Number: 687

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, Look at some of the Demo Videos that ADS has posted on this website. fromZ 7 has incredible new additions to the NURBS sweet of Tools so smooth sculptural shapes are very doable.

Dan S.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17210

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ahmet,

Yes, as Dan suggests you can do this with formZ and bonzai3d. Please see the available tutorials and videos and let us know if you have any further questions. :-)