Building a house in Form Z Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Building a house in Form Z « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Sorensen
Username: Dondavid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Good day Folks,
I recently purchased Form Z, not only for what I sense is the depth and power of its solid modelling, but just as importantly, for its live connection (as I hope I understand it) to the vital new add-on LAYOUT (not yet BIM but still a potentially very powerful way for me to craft a design AND punch out precise CD,s).
While I make my way through the videos and manual, might there be power users out there who could direct me to any tips and tricks to get me up to speed as quickly as possible in crafting a (traditional) house?
Some questions:
1. I see I can lay out a house in plan in Form Z (as quadrants), but what tools should I use to put in the exterior AND interior walls in order to be able to make changes to the floor plan quickly if need be? How do I move interior or exterior walls around easily and then tie them together to be lifted to the right height?
2. Like a discussion in the Sketchup forums, the big question is how much to model before porting over to LAYOUT. I imagine myself doing most everything as modelling so that the clipping plane/sections give me accurate info to notate and dimension--and yet make changes easily.

Any help would be most appreciated. Also, if there are private tutors out there whom I could speak to, that too would be most helpful.
I am glad to be aboard with this extraordinary program.
With my thanks,
David
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17368

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure that others will have tips for you, but one very important tip is to organize your project by Layers. (Don't go overboard with a layer for every item -- generally using the fewest layers that get the job done works best.) This way, you can easily ghost, make invisible, or lock layers you don't want to change, so you can -- say -- make only the Floor 2 Walls visible -- so as to easily move them, or adjust their height.

For many other useful tips, this Webinar (and others) should be very helpful:

http://www.formz.com/webinars/webinars_html/convert.html

(That video is actually for bonzai3d -- but still fully applies to formZ 7...)

Hope this helps!