Materials missing from shaded render Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Materials missing from shaded render « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Grunewald
Username: Jeffg

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I created an object, mapped textures on 4 sides, copied and pasted it into a new document and the textures didn't show in shaded previews in the new doc. They are visible in the RenderZone renderings but have disappeared in the other render styles.
2 other objects copied and pasted in the scene showed their textures in shaded previews. When the object with the missing-from-preview object was pasted into another new document, its textures did show in shaded previews, as did the other objects.
What's the problem?

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17474

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Jeff,

We have not encountered this before. Can you send us the file that does not work -- and the textures that it references?

Jeff Grunewald

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

That file is now functioning properly but I encountered some other problems with image maps and GL shaded previews. The maps were modified by adding white to top and bottom after being assigned to the faces. The ray traced image shows the updated texture maps correctly. The OpenGL previews do not show the updated image maps even after quitting formZ and relaunching. There must be a cache somewhere that's not updating the image maps
Ray traced
ray traced

OpenGL
Open GL

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 863

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

wow -- those look pretty similar. What am I missing?

Martin Malinski
Advanced Member
Username: Notagain_uk

Post Number: 140

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2012 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

top image is compressed on the vertical by about 5% giving squashed appearance and increased white area both top and bottom. (look at the white band apparrent in the top image only)

Martin

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 864

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

does increasing the resolution of the maps in the Shaded Display Options help?

Or if you make your image map resolutions exactly 1024 x 1024, or 2048 x 2048?

Jeff Grunewald

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Changing the resolution of the preview didn't fix it. I couldn't find anything that did. I was looking for a cache to clear but didn't find one. The image map change does display accurately in the material setup. I set up a new file, made a cube, mapped the texture onto it, rendered it. Everything was OK. Then I edited the texture map file. The changed map only displayed correctly in Ray Trace. Neither GL preview updated, even if the face was cleared and reapplied. The best workaround I found was to change the material to a plain color, then change it back to the image map. Then the preview images were updated to the current image map, not something cached somewhere when it was first applied. I'm not sure if posting the file would produce the same results on a different machine if the cache file is stored elsewhere than the document. It should be reproducible if the model is set up and mapped the way I described.