Form Z 7 Workspace drama Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Form Z 7 Workspace drama « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Bousamra
Username: Skyline_displays

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Has anyone had problems with switching and saving workspaces. I have managed to set up the modelling workspace with the tools and palates I use. When I try to set up the render workspace it does not save and reverts to the default. Support have recognised this as a bug, Also the switching hangs the program ( not responding). I have had this new version for nearly a month know and have not been able to work with it. I am still using the previous version which so much more stable. Other funny things happening are toolbox being scrambled over each other. Just a lot of strange things happening and not working smoothly.

My system
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
i7-2600 CPU 3.40GHz
8 GB ram
64 bit operating system

Nick Davies
Advanced Member
Username: Nikkkko

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes! I had a lot of problems running under Win7, and still have some, but most turned out to be a hangover from when I moved from the beta to the release version of the program.

I was advised to delete the folder: user/AppData/Roaming/autodessys/formz7.0 and that helped me a lot, although it did mean having to re-create my workspace layout from scratch.

Michael Thompson
Username: Michaelc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes Robert I've had all those problems on Win7 and have reported them to ADS.

franza
Username: Tetrochuan

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Print Post

... would be great if they can deliver a proper installer for the software that deals with such stuff automatically ...

Nick Davies
Advanced Member

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

And never, but never try to go from modelling to layout and back, (talking about Win7 here, can't say for Mac). I just did that again and hosed my custom workplace for the nth time.

Nick Davies
Advanced Member

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

No way back from this that I can find.
No way back from this...

Michael Thompson
Username: Michaelc

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

That tool dock has a mind of it own on Win7 beyond the default state it's utterly unusable (IMO). It was almost as bad on Bonzai but the Workspace Manager has made it deeply schizophrenic.

I'd like to see ADS implement simple docking where everything just drops into place and stays that way. No fuss, no weird behavour, no sizing glitches, just works - like other software!

Also I'd add make it look good too! That combo box with the text '3D' is so jarringly out of line with the edit fields.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17574

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

If you participated in the Beta testing for formZ 7, it is possible that some of the settings from the earlier beta versions could have an adverse affect on the Workspaces. If this is the case, you should Quit formZ and rename the autodessys: formZ 7.0 folder as Nick suggests.

Also, we have recently identified an issue with Workspaces that can cause them to get scrambled if you make the Tool Dock too wide, or if you save Palettes so they are partially off the screen. Therefore, you should avoid doing these until we can release a correction for this.

Nick,

We were not aware of the issue with switching between Modeling and Layout mode before with certain custom Workspaces, but after running some tests, we have been able to identify this issue. Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected. Once you have your custom Workspace set up as you like, you should go to the Workspace Manager, choose your custom Workspace, and uncheck the Save Between Sessions option. Then if such a problem occurs again, your workspace will not be saved in its "bad" state.

Thanks again for your reports, we will get these corrected.

jeroen
Username: Hbg

Post Number: 53

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I still have a problem with my palettes,workspace i have deleted my preference folder but they sometimes move just too high, i can not grab them in the beta testing i got the tip to place another pallet just under it and move them together, that still works but i would like my workspace to be more stable.resetting does not reset the pallets. I am on osX lion with dual monitor (macbook with 24 inch external screen)pallettes misplacement

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17581

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Jeroen,

We have recently discovered that certain custom setups on high resolution monitors can have issues like you show. We are working on a correction for this, which should be released in the next few weeks.

Jason Maranto
Username: Half_life

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I will be interested in trying a new 7.x demo after the fix is made -- this was a big problem for me in Beta testing (which I did report, among other UI issues).

Robert Bousamra
Username: Skyline_displays

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi. Have been away for four days since posting. I am glad to see that it is not just me or my computer (not so happy that is the program though) Thanks for all the feed back. I have not trialed the beta verion. I progressed from the previous version to 7. As mentioned I still have the prtevious running as a resort when the frastration gets to high. I also use dual screens, both Dell HR monitors. I will try the posted suggestions and post the results. Thanks everybody.

(Message edited by Skyline_displays on September 17, 2012)

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17611

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

We will soon be coming out with an update that fixes this problem.

Thanks to everyone for their report.

jeroen

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

after the update to 7.0.0.1 i still got this after disconnecting my second screen and reconecting it, please make the windows so i can grab them by the edges, or make the 'respawn' a few pixels lower...
(or better try to keep them in the position were i left them)
pallettes misplacement

jeroen

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ok, i found out that when i don't put the palettes at the top of my second screen they will respawn lower so i can grab them and put them back where they belong...

jeroen

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Print Post

what i want is this: two workspaces one with external monitor and one without.
I tried unchecking the save between sessions in the workspace manager but the palettes still don't go back to the original position where i saved them. Unplugging my external monitor always makes a mess i can not reset.

i wil try quitting formz before removing my monitor

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17707

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Jeroen,

Which version of OS X are you using? We have discovered that our recent fixes for formZ 7 Workspaces may not correct some issues with OS X 10.8.x, and we are working on correcting those as well for the next update.

If you are using a previous OS, try this: Quit formZ, go to HOME: Library: Preferences: autodessys -- and rename the formZ 7.0 folder. Disconnect your external monitor and launch formZ. Create a new workspace and customize it as you would like. Quit formZ once more, connect your external monitor, relaunch, and customize that setting, and quit once more. Finally, relaunch and set your workspaces not to save (if you want that). Then just make sure that formZ is not running when you change the resolution of your monitor(s) or when you connect or disconnect the external monitor and it should maintain the resolutions.

With this latest update, Workspaces should behave much better, but again, there are still some issues that we are working on for the next update that should clear everything up properly...

jeroen

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I am working with 10.7.5 so i will try all those steps tomorrow... and then i only have to remember not to disconnect my screen without quitting FormZ when i rush home...

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17713

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

(If you have your workspaces set to not save -- then you should only have to quit and relaunch to "fix" it if you rush out and forget...)

Mike Abbott
Username: Mike_a

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

http://www.mikeabbott.info/OnWeb/FZ_workspace.gif

What's the progress on fixing this?

It's still a very frustrating issue... I'm using 7.0.0.1 build 8576.

These interface issues are important - workspaces, icon design, layout
etc.

(Message edited by Mike A on January 10, 2013)

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 18635

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Mike,

You can post a GIF or JPG file directly in your post using the following command:

\image{1} (or by just using the Upload Attachment button below)

Unfortunately, your GIF image is not located on your site:

Can you repost -- or just email this to us along with a description of what you are doing to cause this so we can help?

Mike Abbott

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry about that - I had to pull it from my site.

Reposted the image here. You'll see two images: the state that I saved my workspace in, and what I get immediately after I press the OK button in the save workspace dialog.

PS: feel free to delete my message above with the bad link.

Animated gif of workspace shift

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 18638

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Mike,

Ok, we have reproduced this -- but once you save this, change it once more and then it will be saved properly.

Does this work for you?

Mike Abbott

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Not sure what you mean. Having saved a workpace - say "Workspace_01", the dialog will not allow me to 'save over' using the same name.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 18651

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Just adjust it as you like. Switch to the Modeling Workspace -- and back to Workspace_01 -- and you should see that it has been restored properly...

K.S.
Username: Kim

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Trying to run Form Z on dual monitor. Followed instructions above but when I open Form Z with one monitor everything is okay, using two monitors the layout changes and I get this. Running on Mac 10.8.2 Both monitors are high resolution.

Single Monitor

When second monitor attached

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 18778

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Kim,

Yes, there is an issue if you connect a second monitor when formZ is running, or if you change the resolution of the monitor when formZ is running. For now you will need to quit formZ before adding or changing the resolution of a monitor.

K.S.
Username: Kim

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ztech,

If I start Form Z with all the hardware in place - it still creates the problem. The only way I can avoid this occuring is to run on one monitor open form z then connect the 2nd monitor. BTW not sure if this is the problem but the monitor is connected via an HDMI cable?

Thanks
Kim

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 18788

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Kim,

Most likely the second monitor was connected or disconnected at some point in the past when formZ was running. If you quit formZ, go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences: autodessys -- and rename the formZ 7.0 folder (add an X to the end of the name), does formZ then restart properly for you?

And once it is running properly with your monitor connected, quit formZ, disconnect the monitor, and relaunch once more so that it locks in a good state without the external monitor.

Quit once more, reconnect the monitor, and relaunch and it should still be good, right?