Simple question - new to FormZ Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Simple question - new to FormZ « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mister Rogers
Username: Misterrogers

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi, I'm just evaluating FormZ to see how useful it is designing furniture and tabletop decor for mass market.. I currently use Shark (Mac) which is great, but FormZ has better tools for shaping. I absolutely love what I see so far, but can't get past the basics. Help please.

I realize this is a very simple question but since I'm just getting started pls dont crucify me for my ignorance: When I'm in draft mode, how do I edit a rectangle after I've drawn it to change its dimensions?

Initially there is a small window to edit it from when creating it, but it disappears once I've drawn it out never to be seen again.

I cant seem to use the Pick tool to re-select the rectangle after its drawn..

Thanks!

(Message edited by misterrogers on September 15, 2012)

Dennis Andes
Username: Dennisa

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I assume you mean drafting workspace?
For a start... while in the pick tool go to the tool options palette & show controls. You can move arrows to pull segments. Also you can pick points, segments etc in top row of palette & move their respective geometry.

Mister Rogers

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dennis, yes thats what I was looking for. I'm still getting used to the layout/tools/palettes of this program, but so far I'm amazed. Wish I found this program years ago.

Ray A
Username: Reflex

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

In addition to the method above, if you select the rectangle with the pick tool, the tool options palette should have a fourth tab for parameters. You can change the dimensions numerically there as well.

Dennis Andes
Username: Dennisa

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mister Rogers,
"I'm still getting used to the layout/tools/palettes of this program"... that is after using formz as my main 3D program for about 20 years and beta testing fmz7 for its duration. When a designer 3D artist gets used to and comfortable with what they used over the years any change feels foreign. I am sure as we continue using formz we all will feel at home with the program as much as we have with what we have previously used. There are also things improving in fmz 7 with every update. I have found that their technical support and developers are as good as it gets. You can always get them on the phone on your first call and they are open to any suggested improvement or correcting bugs that you may bring to their attention.
IT WILL GET EASIER FOR ALL OF US USING THIS POWER PROGRAM.
MY ADVICE STICK WITH IT.

Mister Rogers

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Ray and Dennis. I plan on sticking to this program.. I can easily see already that it is indeed a "Power Program".

Mister Rogers

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Another dumb question: I'm trying to move this inner square independently in drafting workspace. it is just a profile of a leg that I want to place in exact coordinates. Problem is when I use the Pick tool to select it, the outside square is selected too. I tried unselecting the outside square but still doesn't function how I imagine it to. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I realize this is a very basic question on my part..

**Also clicking on the inner square does not give me the parameters menu like the outside square does.. Pls advise. Thanks.

How to move inner square

(Message edited by misterrogers on September 16, 2012)

Bo Atkinson
Username: Boa

Post Number: 596

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Select small object: Drag a selection-rectangle with Pick tool, starting from outside the large square... Note which topological button is active... Pick tool will select as set in Tool Options. So one could select just a segment this way or other topo level.

Another way is to lock the larger square in the Object palette. Then click on small object without affect the locked object.

Even us old-timers are new to this interface, so your simple questions are good for us all.

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 871

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Or put the cursor over the object and hit the Tab key -- or switch to Wireframe...

Mister Rogers

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks again, the more I get into it the more I understand the flow.. but I find that it is more intuitive than clunky.

Dan Shear
Username: Redrngr

Post Number: 708

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

If you have not already Mister Rogers, then watch the formZ 7 intro Part 1, rendering lighting & more Part 2 and also the part 3 that has the focus on NURBS modeling.

http://www.formz.com/Video/formZ/formz7_ENU/formZ7Videos.html

Dan S.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17601

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Mister Rogers,

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you have already gotten good answers to your questions, but if / when you have further questions, please let us know -- we would be glad to help! :-)

Mister Rogers

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dan: thanks for the link. Looks like a very comprehensive collection of videos. I watched the first one last night - thats all I had time for. But will probably watch every one of them. What I really like is that there is being able to right-click to get to a video on that particular tool.

FormZ support: thanks for the welcome! I'm full of questions so more to follow I'm sure.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17606

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mister Rogers,

Once you have watched the videos for a good over view, we have found that going back through them, watching a little bit, pausing the video, and then doing what you just saw will definitely help you retain the details so you will be more prepared for the future.

And of course, let us know if you have any further questions!