Chair Skirt Pleat Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Chair Skirt Pleat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Trimble
Username: Marley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Everyone:

Iím new to Formz 7 and still evaluating the Demo. I like what I see and think Iíll buy at the end of the Demo period. I have one problem that I need help with.

How do I construct a skirt pleat? Per the attached jpg. The Chair itself is easy and straight forward, but I canít figure out the pleat. I tried using the Loft tool per the table example but no go.

Can anyone point me in a direction?

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17626

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Gary,

We suspect that the Loft tool as in the table example is indeed the correct solution.

In this case you would have two splines. One that represents the top edge of each flap and one that represents the bottom. Create a nurbs loft between.

You would need one set of these sources for each flap, and a set of sources for each corner. So you would have 8 pieces. Simply arrange them as shown in the image, or create them in the right places. No need to connect or stitch them together.

This skirt should be created in logical sections rather than one loft operation for the entire skirt.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17627

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Gary,

We wish we had a little more time make this tutorial and model for you, but we are pretty pressed for time right now. Here's a really quick example of how you might create it:

The top 3 shapes are rough cross sections (we just drew one, copied it upwards, and scaled the bottom one a little). Then we got the NURBS tool, choose Loose Lofting, held down the Shift key, clicked on the 3 sections, and got the result as shown with bottom shape. Here's the file:

application/zip1
skirt.zip (135.9 k)

Starting out like this, and modifying the shapes a little further (and perhaps including a few more points where the "fold" occurs) should get you going in the right direction.

Does this help?

Gary Trimble
Username: Marley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

OKey-DoKey - Following your example, I got something reasonable. I just didn't add enough points - lazzzzy.

Since I'm still learning, you pointed me in the right direction -- Thanks

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 17630

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Gary,

Glad to help! Please let us know if you have any further questions. :-)