Texture question Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Texture question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J Kennedy
Username: Noklu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

New to FZ7, I am still on the trial version. I have been having a problem with one thing I would like to do. I would like to create a terrain with an aerial photo draped on top (at correct scale and alignment). In globalmapper I have created a DEM and jpeg of an aerial that are clipped and align perfectly. I have been able to import the DEM, but that is a s far as I can get. I have watched the tutorials, but can't seem to get it right when I edit the material to map the texture.

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 894

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Print Post

J,

Here's how to do this:

Edit a Material, set Color to Texture, and load your JPG. (For best results, set the JPG to Baseline Standard compression and use a high quality.)

Get the Texture Map tool, choose Flat Mapping, and click on your terrain. Get the Texture Edit tool, click on your Terrain once more, move the yellow dot to the lower left corner of your terrain, and move the yellow arrow to the upper right corner.

Does that get you what you want?

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17700

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

J Kennedy,

Robert gave you some good advice (thanks Robert). Did this get you going?

J Kennedy
Username: Noklu

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I did finally get this to work when I used in on a terrain I built from contours. Although, I did not see where I would set the jpeg quality to baseline. It's still not working on a DEM. The DEMs take a long to to reflect any changes, is this because the grid is too small? If so, is there a way to adjust the grid when importing? I would prefer to use DEMs.

(Message edited by noklu on September 26, 2012)

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17731

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

J,

The quality and type of the JPG is determined by the software that is saving the file (ie, Photoshop or other image editor).

Does the Reduce Mesh tool allow you to simplify your DEM file as you would like?