Components update when changing layers Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Components update when changing layers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Grunewald
Username: Jeffg

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I use components for the work I do that involves multiples of the same object - pallets full of cases of wine. Sometimes, 672 refractive bottles is too much for the renderer to handle with the 32 bit OSX 2 GB memory limit so I do separate renderings for each level. This is achieved by placing each level on a separate layer. When I change the layer a Component is on, formZ asks if I want to update the component at library level or make new individual components. Why does a simple layer change either affect the entire component library or propagate multiple copies in the embedded library? It then asks the same question for each instance even when the Apply to All box is checked. This dialog also has no cancel button, so I have to force-quit to avoid committing to changes I may not want to make. Previous versions using symbols treated them almost as inert objects that could be assigned to any layer without affecting the root object in the library.
The workaround is to put the items into groups that can be hidden and leave the layer alone.

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 901

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yep -- they are working on this issue for the next update...

Dennis Andes
Username: Dennisa

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Agreed. There us a lot of component issues that do not work as good as symbols for me:
1- universally changing colors within a symbol library.
2- multiple component within a groups issues.
3- personally I wouldn't mind components being in a bundle package rather then in an open folder. We have multiple users working with the same components on multiple computers.
4- the updating to new component has been inconsistent and dialog has appeared when it should not have. Give us a cancel button or escape option so we do not have to force quit.
TECT SUPPORT IS AWARE OF THESE ISSUES I HOPE THE DEVELOPERS ARE ALSO.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17792

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Gentlemen,

Yes, this should be addressed with the next update. Until then, if you pick the Component(s), go to the Parameters Tab -- and set an Override Layer, then this will do what you want...