Moving textures from face to face Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Moving textures from face to face « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Bousamra
Username: Skyline_displays

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Has anyone worked out how to move a texture from face to face. Previousy in 6, you would deslect all faces and select a new face in the texture (decal dialolg) box, how do you do this in 7? I have had a look at the the video tutorials and manual but have not found any references. Thanks

robert smith
Username: Bob

Post Number: 924

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Use the Map Texture tool, choose the Flat Mapping type, hold down the Command / ctrlkey and click on the desired face to make a texture group...

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Robert
I created a box with a texture one on face, then do you select the new face you want to move the texture to, before you select map texture and press shift and select the the face. I have tried several optione but the texture stays where it is and nothing happens.

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I have added an illustration demonstarting what i am trying to do. If anyone can help me that would be awsome.
application/pdfMoving textures
Moving textures.pdf (261.0 k)

Allan Leclaire
Username: Allanarch3

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

Think of it as applying textures to a face. First, you have to isolate the texture group. You do this by using the map texture tool. Select it, hold the control key and click on the face. Look at the prompts on the right side of your screen. Select the mapping type you want, (typ. Flat) then select texture map tool, click on the face (it will only select the face) then adjust your mapping size and orientation.

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Unless I am missing something, I have tried this and it does not work. I get a plus and minus sign, and then nothing happens. The texture stays where it is. I need to remove it from where it is and place it on another face, not create another texture.

Allan Leclaire
Username: Allanarch3

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

You cannot remove it from one face and move it to another. It doesn't work that way.

If you don't first tell the program what to apply to the face, you cannot 'move' anything to it. Try this. Select the material you want from the material palette. Click on it and hold the control key down while you the drag the material and then drop it on the face. As long as you have the control key down it will select diff. topological levels on the object, including face. Once you drop it, it will apply the texture to it.

You can copy attributes from object to another with the copy attributes tool at the bottom of the tool bar. But that will apply the material to the whole object, not just the face.

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi There

I have screen shot every step. What am I doing wrong?

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Pdf did not link, here it is
application/pdfMoving a texture
Moving a Texture.pdf (944.0 k)

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Oh!
That is a backward step!:-(
You always were able to move your texture around from face to face in 6, that was soo useful and quick. Maybe they should look at putting that function back.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17944

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

In the Map Texture tool options, you will see that there is a size that is set. This is why the size changes when you remap this texture. If you only want to change the color (and not the size of the mapping), just use the Paint tool (and if you want a size other than what you have set for the default material size -- uncheck Apply Default Texture Size). And if you know the size you want to be applied for a certain texture -- set this as the default texture size, and it will automatically be applied to the objects when you color them if you have this option checked...

Perhaps watching the videos a little more closely will help? See these videos in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQhTrrYA0U&list=PL63030190B9EECDDC&index=29&feat ure=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bBuSkTdxgpg

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I think I have not explained myself clearly and there is sone confusion abouut what Iam trying to achieve. I do have my took option palette open all the time, as shown in the pdf. What I am trying to do is replicate the same functions I did in version 6, where you were able, once you have applied a texture to a face, you were also able to remove it by deselecting all faces, and re-applying it to another face. Does this make sense.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17955

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Robert,

Ok, now we see what you are saying. Yes, as noted previously, the old style dialogs do offer a little different functionality than the current implementation, and they will be re-implemented in the future.

Robert Bousamra

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Cheers. Thanks