shoal/bait-ball modelling Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » shoal/bait-ball modelling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sam mcelhinney
Username: Sam_mcelhinney

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

hello all,

Am a long time user of formz but have set myself a little challenge that I do not immediately know the answer to and I'm wondering if anyone else has got a solution that might work

basically, trying to achieve this effect as a series of objects for future subtraction from a solid cone:

http://www.costarica-decouverte.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2009/10/baitball.jp g

any ideas would be helpful. I'm trying to find the quickest way of doing it, so scripts etc might not be the way forwards...

ta
S

Christian Allebosch
Username: Christian

Post Number: 169

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Can't help you ... but nice picture !

Des Clarke
Username: Desclarke

Post Number: 844

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sam, just thinking about it (haven't the time to test), but, maybe if you model the shapes into a small group and animate it following a path, duplicate the animation a few times, manipulate the paths so they are slightly different, then extract the animations so you have multiple objects following the paths, then use the random transform tool to create slight variations of sizes and directions..

Sorry I can't demonstrate (stuck on a job at the moment)..
Maybe someone else has a better way...

Des

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 17942

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sam,

Des' idea of creating a path (perhaps a spiral helix converted to a NURBS Curve and edited a bit), animating the objects along the path, and the Extracting the objects from the Animation should allow you to get what you want.

Then, once you have the objects in the desired position, Group them before using the Difference command and they will all be subtracted at once.

Does this help?