Raytrace Options Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Raytrace Options « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin M
Intermediate Member
Username: Kevin_m

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Can someone please explain to me what all of the settings do in the Raytrace Options panel of Renderzone?

I know that the general response, from what I've been able to find, has been that you shouldn't deviate from the default 8,8,8,10%,10% setup, but I'm trying to speed up some rendering times for an animation and I'd like to know what each of these options does.

In general though, a better understanding of all of these options would be beneficial for my current issue and should I come across some rendering anomalies down the road.

Thanks.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 18123

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Kevin,

These five settings are described in detail in the Renderzone manual. You can access this by holding down shift as you select Renderzone from the Display Menu.

Under "1 Producing a rendered image", there is "Selecting rendering type and parameters", and then: "Setting the ray trace parameters".

This will provide the information you are requesting, however we are not sure anyone has tried to reduce render times with these settings. You are welcome to try this based on the descriptions of the functions and your specific file, but the main reasons for slow renders are often not tracked down to one of these settings.

Use of super-sampling, excessive geometry, double-transparency, high GI settings, etc. are the main culprits for slow renders. You can see if any of these might help you, you can find more about these in our Tech Support FAQ in the Support menu of the website:

http://www.formz.com/support/faqs/5_rendering.html

Kevin M
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks for the response. I'll have to check that out once the rendering process is done.

I'm currently rendering a 5 second 1280 x 720 animation at 30 fps (150 frames). Super-sampling, transparency, and GI are all off. I'm assuming then that the geometry of my object and the fact that it has some reflection is the culprit then.

It appears as though it's going to take at least 5+ hours on my MacBook Pro with a 2ghz quad-core chip. I just figured something that is so simplistic (i.e. one object with a slow camera pan) would render quicker than that.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 18124

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Kevin,

Well, basically it is the time it takes to render 1 frame times the number of seconds times the FPS. Reducing the single frame render time will reduce the overall time.

Make sure that you are using Raytrace rendering (to use more than one core), if you have a large ground plane, set its Attributes to Render As Backdrop, and perhaps reduce the # FPS to ~20 to make it complete more quickly...

Kevin M
Advanced Member

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I ran a couple test renders of the first frame to see how long it took because I realized that it would be a multiple of that, that's why I was wondering what those raytracing options did. If they simplified things and sped up rendering times, I was hoping that I could tweak those setting to make the overall rendering quicker.

Given that I'm rendering an animation, each frame doesn't need to be a "clean" as it would be for a static printed image. Instead of rendering with the "best" settings, I was trying to render with "medium" or "good" settings. I know that there are options similar to this with AI and FG but that's where I thought raytrace options would come in for the overall quality of the rendering.