Comparing MBP 17 inch to MBP 15 inch Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Comparing MBP 17 inch to MBP 15 inch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

K.S.
Username: Kim

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi All:

I presently use an Early 2009 MBP 17 inch (2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB) to do my modeling with FZ. The modeling works okay - save to disk can be a bit slow on large files. When it comes to rendering this, understandably, takes a long time.

According to the Geekbench tests if I replaced this computer with the latest model MBP 15 inch (2.6 GHZ), I would triple the speed of my computer power?
In the real world or should I say in the world of Form Z would the faster computer speed up the modeling? It appears that the chip is slower so would the calculations being performed whilst modeling actually be done slower?

For rendering, my assumption is that the fact that there are more chips makes no difference during the modeling stage? I suspect that the rendering would be an improvement but as the Mac version of FZ is not running on 64 bit -will there be a noticeable difference between my 2009, 17 inch and a new 15 inch MBP?

If anyone else has sacrificed their 17 inch MBP for a 15 inch MBP I would also love to hear if they missed the larger monitor or have gotten used to working with less real estate?

Thanks
Kim

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 18242

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Kim,

The new computers with the i7 chips are much faster than ones with the Core 2 Duos. Google "Megahertz Myth" for why simply comparing that speed is not significant.

The size of the screen is not as important as the resolution that it supports (unless your eyes can't see the smaller details).

Your renderings should be about 3 times faster with the new computer...

K.S.

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Ztech for your quick response and help with my question.

Kim

Jorge Garcia Almodovar
Username: Garciaalmodovar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

In my opinion, the more real estate the better with FZ. I often have to hide the Tool and Palette Docks to maximize screen space on my 13" MBP. I use a large external monitor when at the office.

The screen space on a 15" is not bad, from what I could tell. It's easier to carry than a 17" that's for sure.

My next computer upgrade will be 15" MBP.

K.S.

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks George for your response. When you buy your 15" would you sacrifice adaptability and hard drive space in order to get the retina display?

Does FormZ utilize the retina display?

Dan Shear
Username: Redrngr

Post Number: 742

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"Does FormZ utilize the retina display?"

Yes, it does.

Dan S.

Jorge Garcia Almodovar
Username: Garciaalmodovar

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Kim,
I wouldn't sacrifice hard drive space for the retina display. I would probably get the 15" MPB without retina display and large HD space. It still has the i7 chip and its available with the solid state up to 512gb I think. But that's just me. Retina display = a lot more $.

I am very happy with how formZ works on my current computer (mid 2010). I'm sure I'd notice quite a difference in rendering performance with a newer model. But I still have a while with my current MBP.

Hope this helps. :-)

(Message edited by GarciaAlmodovar on November 19, 2012)

K.S.

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Jorge and Dan,

Thank you both for your feedback.

I tend to agree that the Retina is too expensive and when not traveling I tend to use the MBP in oyster mode, so why waste money on Retina display?

Rick del Monte
Intermediate Member
Username: Rickdm

Post Number: 88

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I just made the trade from a 2009 17" MBP to the 15" Retina display. 95% of the modeling that I do is with my 27" Apple monitor, so the smaller screen does not bother me. The Retina is much lighter and thinner than my old 17", I had just stopped taking my 17" home because I was tired of carrying it.

As noted the speed is significantly improved everywhere. The only downside is that the Retina display has a lower effective pixel count than my monitor so every time I plug or unplug it scrambles the display of any open programs.

rickdm

K.S.

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Rick,
If one compares a 15 inch retina MBP to the 15 inch MBP, it's about $1000 more for the retina with 750gb hard drive. Like you I would most likely use the MBP with a larger monitor, so feel paying for the retina is not worth it. I am just curious if there is some other benefit I might be missing and should give some thought before regretting my cheap ways?

Thanks,
Kim