"save as copy" broken? Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » "save as copy" broken? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

markus groeteke
Username: 3dworks

Post Number: 457

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

if i save 'as copy' in FZ7 format, even if i check 'save image files' together with 'referenced files only' no image files as textures used in materials or underlay are saved into the indicated location together with the project file. but i have set 4 underlay in custom planes and i'm also using a few textures in materials, set as luminous maps in renderzone and maxwell material definitions.

is it just me or am i misunderstanding this function?

markus groeteke

Post Number: 458

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

addendum: this also is happening when saving in FZ6 format, but in this case 2 textures which are part of the standard FZ material sets are saved, but all my other textures are ignored. they are located on an external volume, which is accessible at the time of export.

markus groeteke

Post Number: 459

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

if all image files are 'embedded' then there should be an option to check or uncheck so. any referenced image file should be retrievable and saved into the specified path, if the user need this.

my scene contained some extensive referenced DWG geometry which was deleted. however, before exporting the scene was saved and reloaded and all materials purged. the very large file size didn't change much.

i also notice that in the case of the FZ6 format saving, the resulting file size is much smaller than the case of 'saving as' to the F7 format. in my case the working scene is about 366 MB, even after purging materials and saving/reloading after deleting the referenced geometry. if i saved this project as FZ7, the result was 347 MB, if i saved as FZ6, it was a more reasonable 13,6 MB. reasonable because the scene doesn't contain any extreme amount of geometry or textures. i did an experiment and created an new project in FZ and loaded by 'add' the original file. result when saving again this file is 18.9 MB...

conclusion:

a) 'save as copy' does not 'strip down' or 'consolidate' the project file effectively and...

b) ...not all images or no images are saved as separate files.

c) there's something wrong with the FZ7 project file management in general, as the files cannot be effectively 'cleaned up' or 'purged' - as if something is 'sticky' inside. the only way i found to do so is to create a new scene and load the old project with the 'add' option.

(Message edited by 3dworks on November 27, 2012)

markus groeteke

Post Number: 460

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ok one more thing i discovered: when loading the compact FZ6 file, no views, lights or planes are present from the original scene. if i resave this scene as an FZ7 scene using 'save', it will result in a file just a bit larger than the corresponding FZ6 file. but when i load views, lights and planes (just them) by opening the original scene with 'add', the file will grow to 300 MB again when saving. what the heck is happening here?

edit: even more interesting is that if i add those three scene parts separately in three open with 'add' procedures with just one checkbox for 'views', 'lights' or 'planes' activated, the file does NOT grow up to this dimensions! only if all 3 together are on, the resulting scene is bloated.

markus groeteke

Post Number: 461

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ok, probably i found out something which is wrong, lol: some of this unexplainable behaviour seems to result from the underlays i'm using in custom planes. they seem to use a massive and unexpected amount of RAM.

those are four different 6000 x 6000 pixel JPG's which are associated to 4 planes. i verified that without using them, FZ is using around 300 MB or RAM. when i switch on one of the planes, the RAM usage rises to 1.6 G! after working a bit i found myself with FZ topping 2.2G, which would be very near to the 32 bit limit on mac. that could explain some issues i had lately.

Paul Hunnicutt
Username: Asonearchitecture

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I had issues with large JPG images files in a project as well. Turns out FZ 7 converts any JPG a TIF file (if I remember Supports response correctly). Perhaps try saving as TIF file or a JPG without much compression (even though that seems counterintuitive).

When I replaced my texture map JPG images with TIF files my file size shrank dramatically.