Nurbs & solids... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Nurbs & solids... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stanton Cooper
Username: Sico

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi, I lofted a nurb over several open spline paths, but now I can't thicken it, nor can I subtract it from a solid cube (using the S-Split). In both cases I get the same error message "Unable To Complete Smooth Modeling Operation". What went wrong?

Second question: Is it true that subtracting a nurb from a solid transforms the solid into a hollow "envelope" of 2D surfaces (meaning the cube isn't solid anymore)? Is it possible to split a cube with a nurb without loosing its "solidness"?

(Message edited by sico on December 05, 2012)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 18421

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Stanton,

You can split a solid with a surface and maintain a solid. The ability to thicken can be limited by the density of the control points in the surface, and the tightness of its curvature. If you choose a small value that should reasonably fit on your surface, and / or if you change the direction to In or Out, does this help?

You may also want to check your object with the Object Doctor tool to see if it has any issues. (Non-Developable surfaces are fine -- they are just curved in two directions and as such can not be easily unfolded...)

If you need further help, you can always zip and email the file to support@formz.com so we can take a look at your specific geometry and thus get you a more specific answer...