Walkthrough Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » Archive 2012 » Archive July - Dec 2012 » Walkthrough « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pierre Jutras
Username: Aerolande

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I am a 15 year user. I design dwellings, environments. I always liked to walkthrough my scenes or any others that have been submitted to me.

I saw great improvement into the handling of that tool over the previous version 6...

BUT now with 7... How is it possible to save a walk whole or edit it so that it can be viewed by others either in Quicktime, mp4, wmv, avi, whatever?

Looked over the manual. nothing mentioned.

I used to save walk in former versions of FZ.

Like many others, I miss dearly the end and center points and intervals of segment and center of face snaps and the way they responded: the cursor would jump to the nearest selected snap point. The cursor didn't have to even come close to the point needed to be selected. If you'd want to click and drag an object by a center of a face, you'd only have to click on it anywhere and the center would jump position itself on the cursor.
I miss also the way that just hovering the pick tool over a snapable object, we could see it change into a little cross and jump to closest snap points each time it encountered them. This is not so in FZ7.
It is necessary to select a tool like line or another and hover with it to find coordinates of a point. Even then the cursor must come near the whatever points to be highlighted and for its coordinates to appear in the coordinate palette.

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 18489

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Pierre,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the Walkthrough tool has been greatly enhanced. The ability to save this as a movie file was removed though -- because as far as we knew, no one was using this -- since using the other animation tools will give you much more control over the resulting animation. Please see the notes below on different methods to do this, and let us know if you would still prefer to generate movie files directly with the walkthrough tool -- or if actually animating the camera and generating an animation actually works better for you...

Here is a quick summary of 3 different methods that you can use to generate animations in formZ 7:

Option 1: Animating from keyframes:

Save all of the desired (keyframe) views in your Views Palette, and select them in the desired order (using the checkmark to the right of the view name in the palette, or by graphically selecting them in the screen). Get the Animate Entities tool and click in the screen, and select the desired options. Click OK, and a new view will be added to the bottom of your View Palette. Make this view Active, and then you can scrub your timeline or click the Play button see the view animate.

(To affect the velocity, you can either space your keyframes appropriately, or after the animation is generated, you can move the keyframes from within the Animation Timeline to adjust this as you would like.)

Option 2: Keyframing a camera (view):

Save a view in the Views Palette and make it visible so you can see the camera. Click on the camera with the Keyframe Tool. Move the timeline, and then move the camera. Move the timeline again and move the camera again if desired. Scrub the timeline, or click Play to see the view animate.

Option 3: Animating along a path:

Draw a 2d (open or closed) polyline or curve to serve as your animation path. Get the Animate Along a Path tool, choose the desired options, click on a View, and then click on the path. (When selecting these options, you may wish to select Tangent: +Z, Up Axis: +Y.)

------------------------

Note that for both Options 2 and 3, you can Keyframe the entire camera, just the Eyepoint, just the Center of Interest, or both independently if you like.

Once you have previewed your animation and have everything as you would like, you can select Generate Animation from the Display Menu to save this as an animation file. We generally recommend saving this as a FAN file with compression set to Off, or Deflate. Once this is generated, you can use the File Menu: View File command to play back the animation. You can then use the File Menu: Export Animation to export the FAN file to a Quicktime Movie file (MOV), to a wide variety of image file formats, or if you are on Windows, you can also export this to an AVI file. Note that with MOV or AVI, you can select from different CODEC options, which will affect the quality and size of the resulting animation.

You can also right click on any tool in formZ and choose Manual to open the documentation to the appropriate page.

In addition, there are many animation videos that you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEF4E89FBDF4318F1&feature=plcp

These videos are for formZ 6, but this applies 99% to formZ 7. (We will be working on shorter more specific animation videos in the future, but these are not ready yet.)

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Paul Hunnicutt
Username: Asonearchitecture

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I think that would be very cool to animate with the walkthrough tool!!! I would definitely use that a lot.