OSX 10.9 Mavericks folder icon "fix" ... Register | Edit Profile | Moderators | Log Out
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Search

AutoDesSys Forums » form•Z Discussion » OSX 10.9 Mavericks folder icon "fix" for 6.7 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rich f
Advanced Member
Username: Rfirkins

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I don't know if this is a problem for later versions; my Mavericks machine only has 6.7 installed at the moment. This is a band-aid for an issue where Mavericks assigns a generic FormZ icon to any folder that contains FormZ model files. Z support has said it is an OS issue, but obviously it hasn't been high on Apple's list of things to fix.

Upon looking closer, the assigned icon is specifically a .zxt icon, not .fmz. Since we can't fix the OS, let's change the icon it wants to assign.

Navigate to the actual FormZ.app in Applications. Right click, "show package contents." Navigate to Contents/Resources. Delete the formz_zxt.icns file. Copy the new formz_zxt.icns file (attached) into the Resources folder. (note I would delete the original formz_zxt.icns first - I had some weirdness just trying to overwrite it.) Reboot the machine. Hopefully all will be well.

The uploaded file is just the generic set of folder icons, pulled from System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.Bundle (right-click, show contents)/Contents - GenericFolderIcon.icns - copied and renamed to replace formz_zxt.icns

I've got no idea if there could be any negative consequences from doing this - the only obvious thing is that any .zxt files would now be assigned a generic folder icon. But I've never seen a .zxt file in real life. It still bugs me that there is obviously something not right under the hood, but I'm so much happier with Mavericks having patched over this issue.

application/octet-streamzxt generic folder icons
GenericFolderIcon.icns (1901.5 k)

edit - icns file does not seem to keep the extension after download - just change the name to "GenericFolderIcon.icns" or grab it yourself from the CoreServices path above.

(Message edited by rfirkins on July 01, 2014)

support@formZ.com
Username: Tech

Post Number: 22344

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Rich,

Yes, this is a general Mavericks bug, and is not specific to formZ. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

In general you should not modify the package contents of an application. In theory what you describe should not cause a problem (other than your formZ files looking like folders), but we would not recommend it, as it potentially might cause an issue, as could any incorrect following of your instructions.

rich f
Advanced Member
Username: Rfirkins

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

> other than your formZ files looking like folders

to reiterate, it does not change the look of any FormZ .fmz files, only .zxt files. The manual mentions that .zxt is a formZ extension, but I don't appear to have any of those on my machine or within the FormZ folder. Can you specify when/where such a file type might be used?

I know you guys linked this in another thread but that doesn't really seem to be the same issue. Granted I've seen other reports of messed up icons, but nothing like this specifically. Maybe it is all related. Or is it possible the .zxt extension specifically conflicts with something in the OS?

Are you really only seeing it one one machine? Is it affecting version 7? I've set up 4 machines running Z 6.7 on Mavericks, they all had this issue.

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 22347

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Rich,

We have formZ 6.7 on all our Mavericks computers, but honestly we are not running it that often or testing it that much any more as we are mostly using version 7 and 8 these days.

Sorry, we missed the .zxt part of your previous post, we thought you had said .fmz. So that could fix it, but again, adjusting a bundle could potentially have unwanted consequences (although if you only do exactly what you say, the chances are low).

We are not aware of any conflicts, but formZ 6.7 was created when OS X 10.7 was the current operating system, so it is possible that Apple has changed something that is causing this.

Andrew Birch
Intermediate Member
Username: Povaratti

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I find this disruptive on the Mac as well and I understand that ADS identifies Mavericks as the reason this is happening. Question. Why is only formZ effected and not other apps like Adobe products, etc.

What is so unique to formZ's icon coding that it can effect the OS Finder directory like this?

support@formZ.com

Post Number: 22349

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Andrew,

We are not sure why this would occur, but it does not only happen with formZ -- other program icons appear on folders too. Hopefully Apple will identify and correct this soon.

Des Clarke
Username: Desclarke

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Speaking of which, there's an update (OS X Mavericks 10.9.4) from just two days ago. More than likely does nothing for the icon issue, but worth retrying your process with the latest version (only if you haven't already of course)..

Des